Ladies come up trumps against West Herts
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON ladies’ Is won 4-2 against West Herts IIs on Saturday after a strong team display.
The first breakthrough came when Sarah Buckerfield crossed a strong ball in from the right which player of the match Sophie Gathercole picked up and put past the ‘keeper.
Royston continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal when Wendy Holt dribbled the ball in from outside the D around a few defenders before putting it in to the back of the goal.
After half time West Herts came out with a bit more fight but Royston worked hard and were able to keep them at bay and extend their lead further when Gathercole picked the ball up on the halfway line and ran it all the way into the D beating the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Royston were then unlucky to concede a goal from a West Herts short corner shortly followed by another goal from one of two penalty flicks but Wendy Holt scored the fourth before the end.
The ladies IIs were also victorious with a 3-2 win over West Herts IIIs.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
Despite going 1-0 down in the first half, heads did not drop and Royston scored an excellent goal. Winger Ali Carroll drove the ball down the right wing, got to the byline and fired in a cross to Lucy Richardson who timed her run to perfection and a first time strike gave the opposition ‘keeper no chance.
Royston ‘keeper Laura Price pulled off a match-changing save before Karen McKay fired them into the lead following Sarah Farmer’s pass.
Kate Nankivell scored the third before West Herts pulled back a consolation near the end.
The ladies’ IIIs thrashed Vaxuhall Chiltern 5-0 with a dominant display.
Within 10 minutes Alisha Manuel managed to score, with Lisa Thompson following this up with an impressive reverse stick shot into goal several minutes later.
Hannah Mardell struck near the end of the first half before Manuel completed her hat-trick with two more strikes.
Royston men’s Is lost 2-0 to Luton Town Is while the men’s IIs lost 2-1 to Harpenden IIIs. Nigel Phillips scored the only goal for Royston.
The men’s IIIs lost 6-1 to Potter’s Bar IIs with Tim Yow scoring the only goal, and the men’s IVs drew 3-3 with Broxbourne Vs.
Michael Priest scored Royston’s first with a brilliant reverse stick strike while Simon Hughes and Richard Huby scored the other two.