Ladies come up trumps against West Herts
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON ladies’ Is won 4-2 against West Herts IIs on Saturday after a strong team display.
The first breakthrough came when Sarah Buckerfield crossed a strong ball in from the right which player of the match Sophie Gathercole picked up and put past the ‘keeper.
Royston continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal when Wendy Holt dribbled the ball in from outside the D around a few defenders before putting it in to the back of the goal.
After half time West Herts came out with a bit more fight but Royston worked hard and were able to keep them at bay and extend their lead further when Gathercole picked the ball up on the halfway line and ran it all the way into the D beating the keeper.
Royston were then unlucky to concede a goal from a West Herts short corner shortly followed by another goal from one of two penalty flicks but Wendy Holt scored the fourth before the end.
The ladies IIs were also victorious with a 3-2 win over West Herts IIIs.
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 4 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 10 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
Despite going 1-0 down in the first half, heads did not drop and Royston scored an excellent goal. Winger Ali Carroll drove the ball down the right wing, got to the byline and fired in a cross to Lucy Richardson who timed her run to perfection and a first time strike gave the opposition ‘keeper no chance.
Royston ‘keeper Laura Price pulled off a match-changing save before Karen McKay fired them into the lead following Sarah Farmer’s pass.
Kate Nankivell scored the third before West Herts pulled back a consolation near the end.
The ladies’ IIIs thrashed Vaxuhall Chiltern 5-0 with a dominant display.
Within 10 minutes Alisha Manuel managed to score, with Lisa Thompson following this up with an impressive reverse stick shot into goal several minutes later.
Hannah Mardell struck near the end of the first half before Manuel completed her hat-trick with two more strikes.
Royston men’s Is lost 2-0 to Luton Town Is while the men’s IIs lost 2-1 to Harpenden IIIs. Nigel Phillips scored the only goal for Royston.
The men’s IIIs lost 6-1 to Potter’s Bar IIs with Tim Yow scoring the only goal, and the men’s IVs drew 3-3 with Broxbourne Vs.
Michael Priest scored Royston’s first with a brilliant reverse stick strike while Simon Hughes and Richard Huby scored the other two.