Ladies come up trumps against West Herts
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON ladies’ Is won 4-2 against West Herts IIs on Saturday after a strong team display.
The first breakthrough came when Sarah Buckerfield crossed a strong ball in from the right which player of the match Sophie Gathercole picked up and put past the ‘keeper.
Royston continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal when Wendy Holt dribbled the ball in from outside the D around a few defenders before putting it in to the back of the goal.
After half time West Herts came out with a bit more fight but Royston worked hard and were able to keep them at bay and extend their lead further when Gathercole picked the ball up on the halfway line and ran it all the way into the D beating the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Royston were then unlucky to concede a goal from a West Herts short corner shortly followed by another goal from one of two penalty flicks but Wendy Holt scored the fourth before the end.
The ladies IIs were also victorious with a 3-2 win over West Herts IIIs.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Despite going 1-0 down in the first half, heads did not drop and Royston scored an excellent goal. Winger Ali Carroll drove the ball down the right wing, got to the byline and fired in a cross to Lucy Richardson who timed her run to perfection and a first time strike gave the opposition ‘keeper no chance.
Royston ‘keeper Laura Price pulled off a match-changing save before Karen McKay fired them into the lead following Sarah Farmer’s pass.
Kate Nankivell scored the third before West Herts pulled back a consolation near the end.
The ladies’ IIIs thrashed Vaxuhall Chiltern 5-0 with a dominant display.
Within 10 minutes Alisha Manuel managed to score, with Lisa Thompson following this up with an impressive reverse stick shot into goal several minutes later.
Hannah Mardell struck near the end of the first half before Manuel completed her hat-trick with two more strikes.
Royston men’s Is lost 2-0 to Luton Town Is while the men’s IIs lost 2-1 to Harpenden IIIs. Nigel Phillips scored the only goal for Royston.
The men’s IIIs lost 6-1 to Potter’s Bar IIs with Tim Yow scoring the only goal, and the men’s IVs drew 3-3 with Broxbourne Vs.
Michael Priest scored Royston’s first with a brilliant reverse stick strike while Simon Hughes and Richard Huby scored the other two.