Ladies collect first league win against local rivals
Letchworth II 1 Royston Ladies 2 ROYSTON won their first Five Counties Premier League game of the season on Saturday (October 21) by defeating derby rivals Letchworth. The hosts started strongly and their confident attacking hockey was rewarded with a goa
Letchworth II 1 Royston Ladies 2
ROYSTON won their first Five Counties Premier League game of the season on Saturday (October 21) by defeating derby rivals Letchworth.
The hosts started strongly and their confident attacking hockey was rewarded with a goal after only 10 minutes when Ruth Askham's strike at goal was deflected past the Letchworth keeper by her own defender.
However, for the next 15 minutes of the first half Royston allowed Letchworth to apply increasing pressure and having become boxed in on the left, eventually conceded the first of a series of penalty corners.
You may also want to watch:
Initially Royston prevented Letchworth from scoring with both Lize Botha and Ruth Stapleton sustaining injuries. Both players were able to continue but unfortunately Royston were unable to clear the ball out of the 25.
Letchworth fired a loose ball back into the D which was blindly deflected into the goal by a home player to level the score.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 8 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
Following the goal Royston rallied and regained their initial drive and shape. Just before half-time the impressive Sarah Buckerfield made an incisive run from deep, drove into the D and took the ball around the keeper leaving the keeper isolated and fired home what proved to be the winning goal from a tight angle on the right.
In the second half, knowing that they deserved to win the game Royston continued to press forward and created chances that unfortunately they could not convert into a third goal.
To their credit Letchworth did not give up but failed to make the most of their few opportunities to test the Royston defence.