Ladies are sevens champions
ROYSTON Ladies have been crowned champions of the annual Stevenage seven-a-side tournament. It was an impressive display from Royston, who dominated the tournament from start to finish, with Sophie Gathercole s superb winner setting The Crows on the road
ROYSTON Ladies have been crowned champions of the annual Stevenage seven-a-side tournament.
It was an impressive display from Royston, who dominated the tournament from start to finish, with Sophie Gathercole's superb winner setting The Crows on the road with a 1-0 win in their opening game with The Rotters of Stevenage.
In their second game, Royston had to settle for a share of the points with Stevenage II.
Their goals came from Denise Underwood and Kerry Alexander, who saw them to a 2-2 draw.
You may also want to watch:
Player-of-the-tournament Sarah Buckerfield scored both goals in Royston's third match, as they saw off Bishop's Stortford.
Her second goal was a stunning effort from the edge of the D.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
Royston then beat Stevenage first team, with Julie Fuller's reverse stick finish sealing another well-earned win.
Then they overcame a strong Blueharts side, courtesy of Ruth Askham and Julie Fuller strikes.
St Neots were the next team to be dismissed, with Sarah
Buckerfield and Ruth Askham making the difference in a comfortable 2-0 win.
In their final game The Crows turned on the style once more with a commanding 3-0 victory over Rickmansworth, with Julie Fuller adding to Sophie Gathercole's brace, as Royston romped to a brilliant tournament victory.
Royston Ladies III 3 Ely III 1
ROYSTON ended their season with a deserved victory over Ely, with Gemma Whitby setting The Crows on the road.
In an even encounter, Royston opened the scoring when Sarah Warren's powerful run was coolly finished by Whitby.
Jess Woodhouse added a second, her first for the club, following a goalmouth scramble as The Crows began to edge in front.
In the second half Warren and Caroline Yarrow both went close to extending the Royston lead, before Whitby put the game beyond doubt with her second of the match.