Lacklustre Royston go down at Welwyn
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON HOCKEY Club Men’s First Team went down 2-0 away at Welwyn Garden City on Saturday.
The home side took the lead midway through the first half when a speculative ball forward from defence was controlled well by the Welwyn player and calmly pushed past ‘keeper Chris Markham. Royston needed a reaction in order to gain a control of the game but it never came.
The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with Royston on the back foot to a hard-working opposition.
Welwyn added to their lead following a miscontrolled run along the Royston baseline from a forward player, eliminating two of the visitors’ defenders before putting a misplaced pass into the Royston goal mouth to be slotted home by a Welwyn player.
You may also want to watch:
Royston rallied late on but they were unable to find the net as Welwyn held on for the win.
The Men’s IIs suffered a 4-1 defeat to Broxbourne IIs in Division Four with Josh Hughes scoring a late consolation following a neat pass from Duncan Warner.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
The Men’s IIIs endured an even heavier defeat against Harpenden Vs – going down 6-1.
They started well with Steve Gourd putting them a goal up but things soon deteriorated as Harpenden ran out convincing winners.
The Ladies’ First Team fared better in their friendly match against Shefford & Sandy as they won 5-1 with goals coming from Lucy Richardson, Vicki Bidwell, Wendy Holt, Sophie Gathercole and Denise Underwood, who was joint player of the match with Ruth Askham.
The Ladies’ IIIs overcame a spirited Hertford IVs 6-3 in their friendly match.
Julie Walsh scored twice to put Royston two-up before Hertford scored two themselves. And they later went 3-2 up before Walsh completed her hat-trick to level proceedings again.
And from then on it was all Royston who scored three more goals in the second half through Heidi Whittaker – who also helped herself to a hat-trick.