Lacklustre Royston go down at Welwyn
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON HOCKEY Club Men’s First Team went down 2-0 away at Welwyn Garden City on Saturday.
The home side took the lead midway through the first half when a speculative ball forward from defence was controlled well by the Welwyn player and calmly pushed past ‘keeper Chris Markham. Royston needed a reaction in order to gain a control of the game but it never came.
The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with Royston on the back foot to a hard-working opposition.
Welwyn added to their lead following a miscontrolled run along the Royston baseline from a forward player, eliminating two of the visitors’ defenders before putting a misplaced pass into the Royston goal mouth to be slotted home by a Welwyn player.
Royston rallied late on but they were unable to find the net as Welwyn held on for the win.
The Men’s IIs suffered a 4-1 defeat to Broxbourne IIs in Division Four with Josh Hughes scoring a late consolation following a neat pass from Duncan Warner.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
The Men’s IIIs endured an even heavier defeat against Harpenden Vs – going down 6-1.
They started well with Steve Gourd putting them a goal up but things soon deteriorated as Harpenden ran out convincing winners.
The Ladies’ First Team fared better in their friendly match against Shefford & Sandy as they won 5-1 with goals coming from Lucy Richardson, Vicki Bidwell, Wendy Holt, Sophie Gathercole and Denise Underwood, who was joint player of the match with Ruth Askham.
The Ladies’ IIIs overcame a spirited Hertford IVs 6-3 in their friendly match.
Julie Walsh scored twice to put Royston two-up before Hertford scored two themselves. And they later went 3-2 up before Walsh completed her hat-trick to level proceedings again.
And from then on it was all Royston who scored three more goals in the second half through Heidi Whittaker – who also helped herself to a hat-trick.