Lacklustre Royston go down at Welwyn
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON HOCKEY Club Men’s First Team went down 2-0 away at Welwyn Garden City on Saturday.
The home side took the lead midway through the first half when a speculative ball forward from defence was controlled well by the Welwyn player and calmly pushed past ‘keeper Chris Markham. Royston needed a reaction in order to gain a control of the game but it never came.
The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with Royston on the back foot to a hard-working opposition.
Welwyn added to their lead following a miscontrolled run along the Royston baseline from a forward player, eliminating two of the visitors’ defenders before putting a misplaced pass into the Royston goal mouth to be slotted home by a Welwyn player.
Royston rallied late on but they were unable to find the net as Welwyn held on for the win.
The Men’s IIs suffered a 4-1 defeat to Broxbourne IIs in Division Four with Josh Hughes scoring a late consolation following a neat pass from Duncan Warner.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
The Men’s IIIs endured an even heavier defeat against Harpenden Vs – going down 6-1.
They started well with Steve Gourd putting them a goal up but things soon deteriorated as Harpenden ran out convincing winners.
The Ladies’ First Team fared better in their friendly match against Shefford & Sandy as they won 5-1 with goals coming from Lucy Richardson, Vicki Bidwell, Wendy Holt, Sophie Gathercole and Denise Underwood, who was joint player of the match with Ruth Askham.
The Ladies’ IIIs overcame a spirited Hertford IVs 6-3 in their friendly match.
Julie Walsh scored twice to put Royston two-up before Hertford scored two themselves. And they later went 3-2 up before Walsh completed her hat-trick to level proceedings again.
And from then on it was all Royston who scored three more goals in the second half through Heidi Whittaker – who also helped herself to a hat-trick.