Knight and Holmes win doubles trophy
ROYSTON Tennis Club’s Alan Knight and Andy Holmes were crowned winners of the Men’s Doubles Championship last week.
The pair overcame father and son duo Mike and Matt Fellingham 7-5, 6-4 to claim the trophy in what was a closely-fought contest.
The Ladies were also able to finish their final Cambridgeshire winter league match against Risbygate (Bury St Edmunds) with an 8-0 victory. They were aided by the fact Risbygate were only able to raise two players for the match. Royston team members were Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathryn Betts and Della Gibson.
This final result means the team will be promoted to Division One next year but they will have to wait a little longer to see if they have lifted the winners’ trophy as there are a couple of other matches to be completed but it looks likely they will win the division.
Meanwhile, the club has reported an enjoyable first month of service since the opening of the new courts on the Heath.
You may also want to watch:
There has been an increase in people wanting to join the club and the Heath Sports Club has been taking public bookings. The new floodlights have also proved to be very popular as it’s allowed players to get in some game time after dark.
The main coaching programme has started this week and details of club times, coaching and all activities can be seen on the club website www.royston-tennis.co.uk. Public bookings of the courts can be made at Heath Sports reception.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire