Knight and Holmes win doubles trophy
ROYSTON Tennis Club’s Alan Knight and Andy Holmes were crowned winners of the Men’s Doubles Championship last week.
The pair overcame father and son duo Mike and Matt Fellingham 7-5, 6-4 to claim the trophy in what was a closely-fought contest.
The Ladies were also able to finish their final Cambridgeshire winter league match against Risbygate (Bury St Edmunds) with an 8-0 victory. They were aided by the fact Risbygate were only able to raise two players for the match. Royston team members were Pru Burton, Christine Knight, Kathryn Betts and Della Gibson.
This final result means the team will be promoted to Division One next year but they will have to wait a little longer to see if they have lifted the winners’ trophy as there are a couple of other matches to be completed but it looks likely they will win the division.
Meanwhile, the club has reported an enjoyable first month of service since the opening of the new courts on the Heath.
You may also want to watch:
There has been an increase in people wanting to join the club and the Heath Sports Club has been taking public bookings. The new floodlights have also proved to be very popular as it’s allowed players to get in some game time after dark.
The main coaching programme has started this week and details of club times, coaching and all activities can be seen on the club website www.royston-tennis.co.uk. Public bookings of the courts can be made at Heath Sports reception.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony