Knight and Higgins win Hunter McArthur trophy
IN the worst conditions possible for tennis with near gale-force winds, seven brave couples contested the Hunter McArthur trophy for mixed doubles on Sunday.
After six challenging rounds, Christine Knight and Doug Higgins took the trophy with Emma Windred and Neil Addison taking the runners-up spot.
Meanwhile the Cambridgeshire and Herts summer leagues continue with the adults in the Cambs league turning out terrific results. The men’s first team of Andy Holmes, John Goodbody, Richard Fosbeary and Mike Moss won 7-1 away to Newmarket IIs while the IIs team of David Addison, Roger Maybury, Mike Fellingham and Erwin Phillips continued their terrific run of results with back-to back 8-0 victories over Gransdens IIs and David Lloyd IVs.
The ladies first team chalked up at 5-3 win away to St Neots and a 6-2 home win over Saffron Walden.
The U9s team of Sam Turner, Joseph Heavy, Lucas Edey and Harriett Bender won18-2 against Dellcott while the U12s team of Gareth Byles, Edward Sclare, George Pemberton and James Sharp won 8-4 against Sawbridgeworth.
You may also want to watch:
The U14 team of James Lee, Nathan O’Looney, Leo Pickett and Gareth Byles lost 12-2 away to Harpenden.
Royston Tennis Club is holding an open day on Bank Holiday Monday at Therfield Heath, from 10-4pm to celebrate the completion of the six floodlit courts. There will be free tennis sessions available, but players are reminded that only white trainers are permitted on the courts.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 10 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
For full details of club events, matches and membership log onto the club site www.royston-tennis.co.uk