Knebworth claim a win and a draw against Whitethorn

Knebworth Youth Cheetahs Yellows 1 Whitethorn Wanderers Reds 1 Under-10 Division A THE Yellows started slowly today and it was Whitethorn that had the lion s share of possession as they tested home keeper Steffan Jones several times. After a short corner

Knebworth Youth Cheetahs Yellows 1 Whitethorn Wanderers Reds 1

Under-10 Division A

THE Yellows started slowly today and it was Whitethorn that had the lion's share of possession as they tested home 'keeper Steffan Jones several times.

After a short corner routine Robson Moss fizzed a shot across goal that Taylor Wilson almost got on the end of, but then the visitors went ahead after the award of a penalty which they duly converted.

Jones made two further great saves to keep Knebworth in the game at the break as they struggled to get a foothold in the match.

Knebworth reorganised slightly at the break and began to get back in the game in the second period.

Most Read

The impressive Ewan Fewell created a chance after a great run and then, after Katie McLaughlin broke up a Whitethorn attack, Knebworth broke away and Fewell beat his man and got a great shot away which the 'keeper could only parry and it looped up over his head and into the net for the equaliser.

Ryan Manson and Fewell linked up well only to see another chance go narrowly over the bar before Thomas Porter, also having a great game, then cleared one off the line at the other end.

Knebworth rallied in the closing five minutes in search of the winner - which to be would have been unjust on a good footballing Whitethorn team who contributed well to a great game of football despite the conditions.

A fantastic game of football by two teams that try to play the right way at all times.

Knebworth Youth Cheetahs Blacks 4 Whitethorn Wanderers Blacks 0

Under-10s Division B

KNEBWORTH Youth Blacks were bursting to start and a high-energy performance saw them race into a two goal lead courtesy of Joshua Allen.

His first effort should really have been saved but the 'keeper allowed it to squirm under his body, and then Allen did well to rob a Whitethorn defender before netting the second goal.

Knebworth continued to take the game to the visitors and after a throw on our left, Allen picked the ball up and played in Harry Isherwood who then went on a great surging run into the box before scoring.

Whitethorn came back into the game and the Knebworth defence had to stay strong to whether the pressure.

In the second half Whitethorn almost got back into the game only for Archie Garrett to clear from the line and against the post before the ball was cleared to safety.

More good work down the right from Isherwood saw him pick out a delightful pass for Mitchell Rogers who then raced into the box and calmly slotted the ball home for 4-0.

Rogers and Callum Cook both went close in another goalmouth scramble before Roger then came close to a fifth goal in the dying seconds.

Overall a great team performance especially as a few players were suffering from bugs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter