King zips to fourth Euro crown
MOTOR SPORT: Drag racer Ian King has claimed his fourth European Top Fuel Championship crown. Heading into the final round of the 2008 championship at Santa Pod Raceway, the King Racing team found themselves in second place behind championship leader Rika
MOTOR SPORT: Drag racer Ian King has claimed his fourth European Top Fuel Championship crown.
Heading into the final round of the 2008 championship at Santa Pod Raceway, the King Racing team found themselves in second place behind championship leader Rikard Gustafsson from Sweden.
The team's slim chance of a victory seemed to be slipping from their grasp, however, as the first two days of qualifying were rained off.
A third, short qualifying session was quickly arranged for the morning of the race, and the weather held good.
You may also want to watch:
King set a new personal best time of 6.248 seconds at 212 mph while gearbox problems saw Gustafsson roll to the end of the track and out of the title race.
King went on to win the title after beating Dutch rider Rene van der Berg in the day's big race.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
The ecstatic rider, whose team is based in Litlington, said: "I'm overwhelmed at the hard work put in by my team of Mick Beaumont, Marius van der Zijden, Chris Powell, Martin Brookman, and Gerard Willemse, and the fantastic products and services supplied by our team of associates.
"I'm just the rider - they are the real difference between success and failure.