Kenny’s on target to give XPO a point

JM XPO 1 Sawston Keys Reserves 1 KENNY Poulter s first half strike was enough to give JM a share of the Cambridgeshire Sunday League points. XPO had to shuffle the pack a little with Saward and Galvin missing from last week so Herd and Usher came into


Sawston Keys Reserves 1

KENNY Poulter's first half strike was enough to give JM a share of the Cambridgeshire Sunday League points.

XPO had to shuffle the pack a little with Saward and Galvin missing from last week so Herd and Usher came into the back four and Poulter reverted back to the left wing.

It was the hosts who started the better of the two sides having more of the ball and shading the midfield battles but without really testing Keys keeper who was able to pick out the crosses coming in from Mark Poulter and Purkiss.

The keeper's huge kicks were being eaten up by XPO's back four against two very small strikers, so retaining possession was easier than it should have been but still Keys firm back line refused to give much space to Kenny Poulter and Phil Emmett.

Most Read

The breakthrough finally came on the half hour as a long ball forward saw Emmett walk back from an offside position and Poulter barged his way through the defender and goalkeeper with impeccable strength to strike home the first of the game.

Keys started the second half the brighter of the two and caused a few problems from set pieces but XPO weathered the storm and began to press again from the goal that would kill the game off but it would not come.

Sawston then grabbed an equalise with a free-kick which was lashed home from 25 yards, leaving the wall and White in goal with no chance.

Both sides were visibly tiring in the heat and space was now appearing all over the pitch and XPO created three great chances with Emmett and Bass firing inches wide when put through.

Poulter forced a good low save from the keeper after the shot was arrowing into the bottom corner.

Keys again threatened from another set piece forcing the save from White as the game came to an end with the scores all square.

The home side probably edging the match in terms of clear cut chances and possession but Keys will feel their efforts were worthy of a point.

JM XPO: C White, D Usher, Jonathan Herd, A Kirkpatrick, T Hanson, B Purkis, M Poulter, J Bass, J Herd, P Finch, K Poulter. Subs used; A Smeeton & J Hanson

Fowlmere Metals 1

Cherry Hinton 2

ADAM Stokes' late penalty proved to be only a consolation as Fowlmere started their season with a defeat.

After finishing second last season and just missing out on promotion, Metals were looking to make a winning start to the campaign

A scrappy first half hour saw few chances, the best falling to Adam Stokes who put his shot harmlessly wide.

However it was the visitors who took the lead when they capitalised on some poor Metals defending. Metals desperately tried to grab a goal back before half time but Cherry's defence stood firm.

After some inspirational words from manager Danny Crotty at half-time Metals come out looking much the better team but could not manage to find a breakthrough.

The visitors doubled their lead when again a defensive mix-up let in a striker to make it 2-0.

Metals needed to get a goal quick and nearly did when Terry Woods hit a fierce shot from 30 yards that slammed off the bar.

With five minutes left Metals were awarded a penalty when N Van Der Merwe was bundled over in the box.

Stokes stepped up and coolly slotted home but it was too little too late.

Metals: D Coughlin, O McGrath, S Plumb, B Jackson, F Beck, P Stokes (C Hunter), L Austin(R Van Der Merwe), T Woods, D Plester, N Van Der Merwe, A Stokes.

Soham Town Rangers Res 1

Foxton 1

FOXTON held on for a well earned point on Saturday afternoon against a very lively Soham side.

With injuries and illness manager Sean Audley was forced into making various changes, with Ally Flack and Duncan Handscombe coming into defence, and Andy Gray and Jim Clayden playing up front and right wing.

It was Gray who opened the scoring after only five minutes with a well-placed quick free-kick from 25-yards left the Soham keeper floundering.

Foxton then sat back and were punished after 30 minutes when an error from Handscombe let in the Soham forward who slotted past Andy Kimsey.

The second half saw Foxton press early on, and Gray was harshly judged to have fouled the home keeper when out jumping him and planting a header into the bottom corner of the net.

But that was as good as it got for Foxton who for the last 30 minutes were pretty much camped in their own half as Soham pressed for a winning goal.

However, Foxton's defence stood firm, with Jamie Clark and Flack superb, and Kimsey making numerous stops to keep the scores level, Foxton came away with a battling point.

Foxton's long run of away games comes to a halt on Saturday when they host Wisbech Town Reserves at the Rec.

Foxton: Kimsey, Clark, Spina, Handscombe, Flack, Tokely, Aristo, Webber, Clayden, Fields, Gray. Subs: Cambridge, Rhodes, Audley.