Great Chishill 2 Wisbech St Mary 0 GREAT Chishill progressed into the semi-finals of the Lower Junior Cup, overcoming Wisbech St Mary s. The visitors started the match strongly and put Chishill under pressure with their strong physical approach. Chishil
Great Chishill 2 Wisbech St Mary 0
GREAT Chishill progressed into the semi-finals of the Lower Junior Cup, overcoming Wisbech St Mary's.
The visitors started the match strongly and put Chishill under pressure with their strong physical approach.
Chishill's Jonathan Drury had the first-half's best chance, but somehow let the ball slip away from his feet.
In the second-half Chishill looked much better, with Steve McGee causing a number of problems for Wisbech's defence.
And as the half wore on, it was clear that the visitors just could not handle his trickery in and around the box.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 3 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 5 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 6 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 7 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
And it was such skill that led to Chishill's opening goal, after McGee was felled in the box - with Paul Gibson slotting home the resulting penalty.
With their noses in front, Chishill played with even more confidence and soon made it 2-0, when McGee sent an angled drive curling into the bottom corner from Gareth Edey's pass.
McGee came close again late in the game, but his attempted lob was saved conformably by the keeper.
However, by then Chishill had already wrapped up the points and stretched their unbeaten run to 21 games.
- Great Chishill take on promotion rivals Steeple Morden on Saturday.