Joe’s double gives Tigers the league points
Melbourn Dynamos Tigers U-10 2 Bishop s Stortford Rovers 0 A pair of crackers from Joe Carrington earned a resilient Tigers side victory in one of the most competitive matches played this season. The opening exchanges saw the home side apply some early
Melbourn Dynamos Tigers U-10 2
Bishop's Stortford Rovers 0
A pair of crackers from Joe Carrington earned a resilient Tigers side victory in one of the most competitive matches played this season.
The opening exchanges saw the home side apply some early pressure with Clyde Thompson and Brennan Friel looking particularly lively up front.
You may also want to watch:
The midfield battle was being won by the inspirational duo of Alex Martin and Joe Carrington and they combined for the opener when Martin won the ball and laid it off for Carrington to power home from outside the area.
Melbourn kept the pressure on and it paid dividends when a vicious, inswinging corner from Carrington deceived the visiting defence and went in at the near post.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
Rovers, to their credit, did not let their heads drop and were unfortunate not to score before half-time with several efforts going close.
Tigers reorganised their defence for the second half putting the excellent Ben Jones into the middle with support from Josh Chamberlain and Andrew Wilkins, protecting goalkeeper Sam Robinson.
This proved effective, limiting Rovers to some long-range efforts that were easily dealt with.
The hard working George Birch added some steel to the midfield and Jamie Fothergill was switched to sweeper for the last 10 minutes, making a couple of superb clearances to secure the win that keeps Tigers top with just one game to play.
- Dynamos under-eights won through to the final stages of the Crow League tournament after topping their group after three excellent matches.
The opening game saw a James Rushton strike and an own goal give them a 2-1 win.
In the next match, Melbourn were in fine form as Shefford Saints were hammered 8-0, with strikes from Charlie Webber (2), Alex Maskell (2), Sam Bedlow,, Charles Johnson, James Fowkes and another own goal.
The final game saw Dynamos fight out a goalless draw with Stotfold Juniors.
Another close, competitive game played to a high standard, saw the teams earn a point to both go through to the finals.
The highlights were a fine fingertip save from Dynamos' Rebecca Brooker and some testing shots by the tireless Ben Webb and Charles Johnson went close for Melbourn.