JM win through after Villa battle
JM Sports Res 3 Ashdon Villa 2 AFTER last week s stroll in the park, JM Sports found life much more difficult against the previously unbeaten Ashdon Villa. With regular keeper Neil Pinner sidelined, stand-in Nick Grobellar performed heroics to ensure th
JM Sports Res 3 Ashdon Villa 2
AFTER last week's stroll in the park, JM Sports found life much more difficult against the previously unbeaten Ashdon Villa.
With regular keeper Neil Pinner sidelined, stand-in Nick Grobellar performed heroics to ensure three valuable points for the home side.
After an evenly matched first half, the action really started on the hour mark when the referee gave a much debated penalty in Ashdon's favour. However, Grobellar proved more than a match for their penalty taker to produce a stunning save.
It was a stop that seemed to spur his team mates on and when JM skipper Craig Wood's clever through ball was met by Paul Whiffin the hosts were in front.
And that goal was followed by another when Steve Williams pounced for his third goal in two games.
- 1 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 2 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Children's kite design competition winners announced
- 5 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 6 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Mid-August railway strike set to hit Hertfordshire train lines
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
JM made it 3-0 when Ian McCann played Whiffin through, with the forward replying once more with another accurate finish.
With 10 minutes to, Ashdon looked dead and buried, until a miscued clearance from Steve Laughlin allowed an Ashdon midfielder to blast home from 20 yards.
And after mounting a late onslaught the visitors nabbed one more, with man-of-the-match Jordan Wilson and Mark King working hard to keep out an equaliser.