JM trio in top form
A VISIT by three members of the JM Judo Club to the annual summer area competition produced a great result for the Royston club. Despite depleted numbers, the group came away with maximum awards. Club vice-captain Dawn Smith was around to bolster the you
A VISIT by three members of the JM Judo Club to the annual summer area competition produced a great result for the Royston club.
Despite depleted numbers, the group came away with maximum awards.
Club vice-captain Dawn Smith was around to bolster the young contingent with some moral support, and kept the young players concentrating on the task in hand.
Alfie Massmann-Brown was first out in a three-way tie, which saw the seven-year-old gain two maximum point wins in his two bouts, the first of which saw produced a hip throw followed by a strong ground hold for the 10-point win.
Tom Fox followed his cousin to the contest mat and did not disappoint, in a tight four-man set up.
An opening loss on a split decision did not deter the youngster, and he came back with two superb wins both for maximum points, again using the hip throw technique.
- 2 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 3 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 4 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 5 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 8 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 9 'Flood the internet' to save waterways in South Cambs
- 10 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
With the narrowest of point advantage,s Fox held on to secure the gold medal.
Neil Smith returned to action after an 18-month absence with an injury and drew much applause from the crowd with some superb judo skills in a heavily weighted five man pool.
Another of the club's many long- term hopefuls, Smith won all four bouts with maximum points, defeating junior national bronze medallist David Stephenson from Barnet Judo Club with a strong ground hold on the way to claim his gold.
Club leader John Massmann said: "It was a really excellent day, with some very positive results."
For membership and club details contact John Massmann on 01763 241020.