JM squeeze home despite Holt hat-trick
Steeple Morden 3 JM Sport Reserves 4 DOM Holt s hat-trick was not enough to save Steeple Morden s three-game winning running, with JM Sport Reserves edging them out by the odd goal in seven. From the outset it was clear this was going to be a tough an
Steeple Morden 3 JM Sport Reserves 4
DOM Holt's hat-trick was not enough to save Steeple Morden's three-game winning running, with JM Sport Reserves edging them out by the odd goal in seven.
From the outset it was clear this was going to be a tough and competitive game with the midfield battle all important.
And it was Steeple who had the early upper hand when Jamie Murphy found Dom Holt, who after shrugging off his two markers, rounded the visiting keeper to slot home after 21 minutes.
The recalled Tim Tidey then had to make a great low save to deny JM an equaliser, but he was helpless moments later when beaten from the penalty spot after a tangle of legs involving Paul Hutley.
Just before the break Morden then got caught in possession and paid they were forced to pay the price when a great cross was headed home at the far post.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 5 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 6 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 7 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
The hosts were then caught napping again seconds later when a long ball over the Steeple defence was punished with a calm finish.
Steeple got back into the game when a Murphy free-kick was superbly headed home by Dom Holt from 12 yards.
However, as Steeple pressed for an equaliser another long ball left Tidey exposed, and the visitors regained their two-goal advantage.
Skipper Charlie Prothero battled valiantly and after going close with one 20-yard free-kick he produced the cross for Steeples third, with Dom Holt bundling the ball over from close range to complete his hat-trick.