JM squeeze home despite Holt hat-trick
Steeple Morden 3 JM Sport Reserves 4 DOM Holt s hat-trick was not enough to save Steeple Morden s three-game winning running, with JM Sport Reserves edging them out by the odd goal in seven. From the outset it was clear this was going to be a tough an
Steeple Morden 3 JM Sport Reserves 4
DOM Holt's hat-trick was not enough to save Steeple Morden's three-game winning running, with JM Sport Reserves edging them out by the odd goal in seven.
From the outset it was clear this was going to be a tough and competitive game with the midfield battle all important.
And it was Steeple who had the early upper hand when Jamie Murphy found Dom Holt, who after shrugging off his two markers, rounded the visiting keeper to slot home after 21 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The recalled Tim Tidey then had to make a great low save to deny JM an equaliser, but he was helpless moments later when beaten from the penalty spot after a tangle of legs involving Paul Hutley.
Just before the break Morden then got caught in possession and paid they were forced to pay the price when a great cross was headed home at the far post.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
The hosts were then caught napping again seconds later when a long ball over the Steeple defence was punished with a calm finish.
Steeple got back into the game when a Murphy free-kick was superbly headed home by Dom Holt from 12 yards.
However, as Steeple pressed for an equaliser another long ball left Tidey exposed, and the visitors regained their two-goal advantage.
Skipper Charlie Prothero battled valiantly and after going close with one 20-yard free-kick he produced the cross for Steeples third, with Dom Holt bundling the ball over from close range to complete his hat-trick.