JM coast to promotion victory
Johnson Matthey XPO 8 Edward Jolly Boys 2 JOHNSON Matthey secured promotion and a third place finish with a free-scoring win against rivals Edward Jolly Boys in their final game of the season. The game started with some tough tackles in the middle of t
Johnson Matthey XPO 8
Edward Jolly Boys 2
JOHNSON Matthey secured promotion and a third place finish with a free-scoring win against rivals Edward Jolly Boys in their final game of the season.
The game started with some tough tackles in the middle of the park, with both teams scrapping for possession.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was the hosts who broke the early deadlock when Dave McMurrough unselfishly squared for the on-running Phil Emmett to smash home from close range.
After some superb pressure by the XPO forwards, the visitors increased their lead, with Emmett doubling his own tally with a clever lofted finish.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
Minutes late, McMurrough turned provider again, finding Jordan Herd unmarked in the box.
Their three-goal cushion was reduced moments before half time when a Jolly Boys forward found the back of the net with a well-taken strike.
In the second half XPO came out strongly, and from the off created a number of chances.
And the home side made it four when Daniel Easter's weaving solo run ended in a penalty, after the left-winger was upended in the Jolly Boys' box, with Tom Galvin finding the bottom corner with the kick.
Gareth Edey gave the visitors some hope, when his solo run ended with a rasping top corner drive.
McMurrough added a fine fifth before substitute Dec Shilton made it six when he beat his markers and drilled the ball into the net from the edge of the box.
Herd then grabbed his second of the game, before man-of-the-match McMurrough capped a fine performance with his second, and helped secure promotion to Division 1.
Johnson Matthey XPO: S.Saward, M.Poulter, Jon Herd, D.Usher, Jordan Herd, Tom Galvin, J.Murphy, P.Emmett, D.McMurrough, D.Shilton, A.Smeeton, M.Ralph, D Easter.