It’s tough going for Steeple
Steeple Morden Res 2 Fulbourn Institute A 6 STEEPLE Morden suffered a league setback on Saturday, going down at home to a youthful Fulbourn Institute side. It took Fulbourn just 15 minutes to open their account, when Charlie Hall s strike left the hosts
Steeple Morden Res 2 Fulbourn Institute A 6
STEEPLE Morden suffered a league setback on Saturday, going down at home to a youthful Fulbourn Institute side.
It took Fulbourn just 15 minutes to open their account, when Charlie Hall's strike left the hosts' keeper with little chance.
Andrew Negus then doubled the visitors' score three minutes later, as Steeple struggled to get to grips with Fulbourn's pace.
However, Steeple began to carve out their own chances, and halved the deficit with a well-crafted goal.
Martin Holt picked the ball up out on the right, cut inside, and placed an inch-perfect pass for left winger Jason Clark to smash low to the goalkeeper's left.
- 1 Owner elated as cat returns after going missing for 11 years
- 2 Melbourn Bowls Club celebrates centenary
- 3 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Life-saving defibrillator donated to Melbourn Bowls Club
- 6 A-level results 2022: What should my next steps be?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 World Photography Day: Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust launches third Wild Snaps competition
- 9 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 10 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
However, the visitors soon restored their two-goal advantage when the free-scoring Joe Bidwell fired home just before the break.
Shortly after the interval though, the arrears were reduced once more when Jason Clark crossed from the left for Mark Thorp to deftly head the ball past the advancing Fulbourn keeper.
But the visitors soon hit back with three quick goals, through Negus, Bidwell, and Edward Clark, who hit a superb 35-yard strike, killing Steeple's hopes.