It’s tight at the top
COLIN Saban and John Griffin topped the leaderboard for the prestigious Hastings Cup at Royston Golf Club on Sunday. Played in glorious conditions, both players returned nett 65s, which will see them play-off over eighteen holes to decide the winner. Gr
COLIN Saban and John Griffin topped the leaderboard for the prestigious Hastings Cup at Royston Golf Club on Sunday.
Played in glorious conditions, both players returned nett 65s, which will see them play-off over eighteen holes to decide the winner.
Griffin played some very steady golf, whilst Saban had a remarkable back nine of nett 27, seven under par. Chris Little took third spot with a 66.
Toby Wilmott shot a superb nett 63 in the Saturday Medal, but only won by a shot from fellow 28 handicapper, Steve Brooker.
You may also want to watch:
Three handicapper James Kidd, took third spot with an excellent round of 69, nett 66.
This qualifies Kidd to play with professional, Sean Clark in the PGA National Pro Am qualifier at Kings Lynn in June, where the pair will be hoping to win a place in the final, overseas in December.
- 1 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 2 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 6 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 9 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
The Thursday Medal was won by Steve Board, who pipped scratch player Stuart Phillips on countback. Both players returned nett 68s to edge out Steve De Fraine.
The juniors took part in the first round of the CAGU friendly knock-out cup on Saturday, playing away at Cromwell Golf Club and the young inexperienced side played well, but lost the match 2-1.
Greg Fyson and Henry James produced par golf to overcome their opponents 4 & 3. Cole Thompson and Jonathan Windle fought back from three down only to lose at the last hole, whilst Lauren Hunt and John Middlemass came back from 2 down, but also lost on the last.
On Sunday the juniors travelled to Saffron Walden for a St Ives Cup tie but again lost narrowly with junior captain, Tom Smith and his vice captain, Tom Clapham losing on the last hole. Oli Bance and Chris Trimble lost 4 & 2, but James Smith and Matthew Barrett won 3 & 1.
The B team of Greg Fyson and John Middlemass won 3 & 2 against far more experienced opponents and the duo of Henry James and Daniel Smith managed to halve their match. Royston now need to concentrate on their up and coming league matches.