It’s the late, late show for Foxton

Foxton 3 Gamlingay 0 IT WAS the late show as Foxton s good run continued with a win against Gamlingay on Saturday. Foxton quickly found their rhythm playing quite direct football. They were looking to exploit any mistakes the away team s defence m

Foxton 3 Gamlingay 0

IT WAS the late show as Foxton's good run continued with a win against Gamlingay on Saturday.

Foxton quickly found their rhythm playing quite direct football. They were looking to exploit any mistakes the away team's defence made in awkward weather conditions, with the ball and pitch very greasy from the wind and rain.

Their first real chance came when Adam fields broke away but was unlucky as the Gamlingay goalkeeper made a good save as Fields looked to chip it over him.

Chris Aristo probably should have scored minutes later as he intercepted a pass between defenders leaving him one on one with the keeper, but only managed to shoot straight at him.

Fields found other half chances to take on the break as he gambled on the last man, but was unfortunately unable to score.

Most Read

Gamlingay did threaten on two occasions, the first a through ball which was intercepted bravely by Foxton keeper Andy Cambridge diving at the forward's feet. The second chance was a powerful shot from outside the 18 yard box which ricocheted off the bar after a fingertip save by Cambridge.

The second half was a scrappy affair, Foxton, their play disjointed and showing a lack of imagination, failed to create much.

Gamlingay had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down and were beginning to find their feet.

Foxton needed to make a change so brought on lively winger Darren Chamberlain who boosted the home team making an immediate impact his surging runs down the wing gave Foxton a much needed outlet.

The home side then scored their first in the 75th minute from an Fields corner, driven in at pace for the strong Barry Webber to head home from close range.

The home team continued to dominate from that point, finding gaps in the Gamlingay defence.

Foxton's second goal came as Sean Audley picked up the ball to left of the 18 yard box and dribbled in, the defender committed himself which enabled Audley to find Duncan Handscombe unmarked to smash home.

Audley then had a chance for himself when a surging Chris Aristo unselfishly squared the ball to him alone in the box, but he got himself in a muddle and was unable to convert as he rounded the keeper.

Foxton's final goal came as a breakaway chance, with Fields running the ball right from the halfway line then neatly slotting past the keeper at the near post, making it seven wins from eight for Foxton.

- Saturday sees Foxton visit West Wratting in semi final of the league cup.

Steeple Morden 1 Harston 1987 2

STEEPLE slipped to another narrow defeat despite dominating large spells against a tough Harston side.

The visiting keeper was called into action early on to deny strikers Holt and Parr and keep out a Prothero free-kick.

Against the run of play, Harston breached the Morden defensive line and lifted it over the exposed Tidey to open the scoring.

As Harston gained confidence, the recalled Tidey did well to prevent another goal when left one on one with their centre-forward, a feat he was to repeat in the second half.

The deserved equaliser came on the half hour and was of the highest quality. Ben Holt had three defenders around him when he picked the ball up 25 yards out but managed to work an opening and produced an exquisite chip for his 28th goal of the season.

Harston regained the lead with the last attack of the half when a deep cross was converted by the only attacker in the box.

Despite plenty of possession Steeple could not find the further goals they deserved during a bitterly cold second half.

Joe Morris beat the offside trap but his cut back was lifted just over the bar by Nick Carlton and Harston were lucky to escape punishment when Holt was brought down with just the keeper to beat.

Max Carlton exemplified the determination Steeple showed when battling on despite a bloodied nose following an aerial clash late on.

Steeple will hope to end their barren run away at Great Chesterford on Saturday although a number of key players will be missing.

Steeple: T Tidey, M Carlton, G Collins, J Watters (B Morris), A Smith, P Hutley, N Carlton, J Murphy, C Prothero, K Parr (J Morris), B Holt

Fairlands 4 Baldock Town 2

BALDOCK Town's hopes of a cup treble this season ended in quite spectacular fashion on Saturday as they conceded four goals in the last 13 minutes to crash out of the Greg Cup in the Semi-Final.

With the Reds having already sealed final spots in the Herts Junior Cup and Benevolent Shield in the past two weeks, they were red hot favourites to make it three semi-final victories in as many weeks.

The early signs were good with Baldock dominating possession shooting down the slope on a blustery rainy day in Stevenage.

Baldock took the lead midway through the first half when good work on the left from Smith saw the ball break kindly for Mark Nunn 12 yards out.

Despite being under pressure Nunn lashed his effort into the top right hand corner and scored for the third successive match.

The advantage was doubled in the last few minutes of the half when Harry Holland robbed Kevin Liggett of possession and went clear.

With the keeper coming to narrow the angle, Holland guided the ball superbly over him to give Baldock a cushion.

In the second period the home side's attacks began to become more prominent as the pressure on the Reds defence mounted.

Fairlands wasted two great opportunities to get back into the match shortly after, but their persistence was rewarded 13 minutes from time when Baldock failed to clear from a set piece, the ball was bundled in to give the hosts renewed hope.

The home side drew level in the 81st minute when McEwan came for a long throw and didn't get it.

Despite making two point-blank saves the ball was forced in and suddenly Fairlands had aspirations of causing an upset.

Shellshocked Baldock were now holding on and King then threw on Adam Shelley for Holland as the Reds tried to regain the initiative.

The comeback was complete in the 89th minute when a back header from Beadsworth went back to McEwan.

His attempted clearance was blocked and the ball fell invitingly for a home player who slotted in to complete McEwan's miserable afternoon.

There was still time for a fourth when Beadsworth's attempted clearance forward struck sub Martin.

This put in the home wide-man who crossed superbly and the forward thumped the cross home on the half volley to complete a fantastic comeback by Fairlands and a day to forget for Baldock.

- Two goals from Neil Smith plus a Jeremy Clements gave Banyers a 3-1 win at Fowlmere Bostocks on Sunday.