It’s just gr-eight for Panthers

Potton Colts U-8 0Melbourn Dynamos Panthers 8 PANTHERS proved to be too strong for Potton Colts on a blustery Saturday morning. Early in the first half, Luke Eades made one of his typical defence splitting runs and laid the ball off to George Stor

Potton Colts U-8 0Melbourn Dynamos Panthers 8

PANTHERS proved to be too strong for Potton Colts on a blustery Saturday morning.

Early in the first half, Luke Eades made one of his typical defence splitting runs and laid the ball off to George Storey in the penalty box for him to fire home.

An electric five minutes saw Melbourn kill off the game. Josh Bates pushed up from defence to pick up a long throw in from Dani Friel to smash the ball into the net and Storey snatched his second after an excellent solo run from the halfway line.

With the constant pressure of the ball being in the Potton's half an own goal made it four before Bates joined the attack for a corner and connected well with a loose ball in the box to make it five.

Just before half time Saffron Henry came on for Eades, and after several close long range attempts from Kieran Geraghty - his persistence paid off with a power drive of a shot after a good run to make it six for the visitors.

Most Read

Just before half-time, Storey got his hat-trick to make it seven for Panthers, direct from a free kick, given for handball just outside the penalty area.

All credit to Potton, the second half saw them keep their heads up and battle hard, their keeper making a number of fine saves and their midfield and forwards ensuring Henry, Oli Johnson and Bates worked hard to ensure the Colt's did not get a consolation goal.

Panthers threw everything at the Colts to increase the lead, roaming runs down the left from Friel, an unlucky shot from Henry on the right and a long range lob over the bar from Geraghty.

But it was pressure by Eades and Bates looking for his third that forced Potton's defender to put the ball into his own net for the eighth just as the final whistle was due to blow.

Potton Colts U-8 0 Melbourn Dynamos Tigers 0

TIGERS pushed forward from the start with Ryan Barton and Jack Morley putting Colts' defence under pressure.

Most of the first half was played in the Potton half with Megan Jeray, Kieran Geraghty and Morley all going close with shots that went just wide.

The visitors defence was rarely threatened as Andrew Chitty and player-of-the-match Charlotte Knight kept the Potton attack at bay.

The second half continued in similar style to the first with Dani Friel having a couple of long rang efforts on the Potton goal and Seb Bishop making a couple of fine runs from inside his own half.

However, the Colts almost snatched the lead when an excellent angled shot was tipped around the post by Connor Patel in the Tigers goal.

Tigers continued to dominate forcing a series of corners and throw ins deep in the Potton half but the Colts defence held out well for a goalless draw.

Bishop's Stortford Town U-11 7

Melbourn Dynamos U11 Panthers 0

HAVING drawn 2-2 against top of the table Stortford two weeks ago, the Panthers had a much rougher ride in the return fixture away from home.

With the home team controlling much of the play early on, the Melbourn back four of Jack Richardson, Alex Martin, Billy Halliwell and Jordan Hardwidge held firm and soaked up the pressure - so much so it was the Panthers who had the first clear-cut chance of the game when Byron Lawrence intercepted a loose pass in midfield and broke free to put in a fine cross which Craig Stalker just failed to convert.

This was followed by another through ball from Lawrence to Patrick Hopper who again stretched the Bishop's Stortford defence - at this point it looked like the game could go either way.

With Ben Jones off injured and Andrew Wilkins slotting into midfield the Panthers continued to work hard, with Toby Jackson continuing his good form in goal by producing a couple of terrific saves. Eventually after 15 minutes Stortford finally broke through with a nicely executed move to go 1-0 ahead.

The Panthers nearly equalised through a Lawrence free kick which sailed just over the bar, but Stortford made the most of the situation by responding with a second goal. Just before half-time the home team were awarded a penalty for handball, but the spot kick went wide meaning that the Panthers went in at the break just two goals down.

In the second half Stortford really started to take control, with two goals being added from set pieces - and as Melbourn legs started to tire the gap between the two teams stretched, with the hosts ending up worthy 7-0 winners, having played some very attractive football throughout.

Melbourn Dynamos U-11 Tigers 0 Hormead Hares 5

TIGERS travelled to the hospitable Hormead ground for their last game of what has been a testing season for the team.

The encounter was evenly matched despite the scoreline, with both sets of players giving maximum effort in their quest for victory.

The Tigers back line of Ben Cattley, Cameron Douglas, Josh Jones and Jack Hammond gave a good account of themselves in blocking the Hormead attack and pushing the ball to the midfield area.

Late in the second half Adam Breeze was put through on goal from a flicked on throw in to go one on one with the Hares keeper only to be brought down just as he was about to pull the trigger.

The home side went into the break two goals to the good making the most of some rare lapses in the Tigers defence.

The second half saw the introduction of George Birch in defence, and his strength along with the superb goalkeeping skills of Sam Robinson kept the Hares frustrated.

Tom Lee probed the Hares defence with great attacking runs only to be denied by some keen defending by the home side.

Three more goals were added to the Hares tally by the end of the match despite the efforts of the visiting side.