It’s five for Angus on debut

THERE were goals galore for Buntingford Cougars under-16s as they hammered Bishop s Stortford Rangers 10-0. Debutant Angus Lloyd-Skinner struck five first-half goals, as the Cougars attacking football opened their opponents up. Darren Filmer also grabbe

THERE were goals galore for Buntingford Cougars under-16s as they hammered Bishop's Stortford Rangers 10-0.

Debutant Angus Lloyd-Skinner struck five first-half goals, as the Cougars' attacking football opened their opponents up.

Darren Filmer also grabbed his first goal for the club, while the skilful Matt Campany completed a first-half rout with two well-taken strikes.

After the re-start captain Josh Wagstaff fired home a brilliant long range effort before Harry Lee-Stevens added goal number 10 after some good work from Billy Morrissey-Moore.

Buntingford Cougars under-nines ­continued their fine run of form with two wins against Bishop's Stortford Town. The Blues won 5-0 with Connor Poulton scoring a brace, the first of which saw him run from box to box before finding the bottom corner of the Stortford net.

Jack McMeechan, Sam Ward, and Joe Tokely added the other goals in what was another convincing win.

Most Read

The Whites scored a goal in each half to give them a deserved 2-0 win with Olly Pallett slotting home both goals.

Buntingford Cougars under-13s dominated their game against Baldock Crusaders and ran out convincing 7-1 winners. Jonathan Bowell smashed home a well-taken hat-trick, with ­Darren Aldridge adding two more. Cougars' comfortable win was completed when Andy Brooker and George Harris fired in their first goals of the season.

A penalty shootout was needed to settle Buntingford Cougars under-10 Stripes' cup tie with Bedmond - unfortunately for the Stripes their opponents showed more coolness.

And after dominating the majority of the first half, Cougars had to fight back when Bedmond scored with their first shot of the game minutes before half time.

In the second half, Cougars once again maintained possession and forced the Bedmond keeper to make a series of saves.

However, there was nothing he could do about Alfie Arnold's headed equaliser from a William Thorp corner to force extra time.

Wasteful finishing cost Buntingford Cougars under-14s, as they were beaten 4-0 at Sandy Colts.

Twice the hosts' keeper was rounded, only for Buntingford to see the ball cleared from the line as the Cougars controlled the first half. The Sandy keeper kept the home side in the game with a number of great blocks.

In the second half Cougars struggled to get going, while Sandy scored four well-worked goals. Man-of-the-match Bayo Adeyemni almost snatched a late consolation with a powerful long range effort.

Buntingford Cougars under-11s slipped to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Bedwell Rangers despite a valiant first-half performance.

Man-of-the-match Matthew Mardel linked well with captain Daniel Howard at the back while Callum Faik and George Ganellin battled hard in midfield. Adam Reed's clever header almost snatched a late Cougars goal.

Buntingford Cougars under-15s had to settle for a share of the points with Bedwell in an entertaining 2-2 draw.

Alfie Long's penalty broke the ­deadlock, as Scott Piggott, Ben Johnson and Michael Holland stretched the Bedwell defence.

And after a long spell of possession, Buntingford's lead was increased when Holland rifled the ball into the net from just outside the box.

However, in the second half, Bedwell hit back with a well-taken goal which seemed to spur them on an extra gear. And after camping out in the Cougars' half, Bedwell snatched an equaliser courtesy of a headed own goal.

Bedwell almost made it three late on with Buntingford thankful for Rice's acrobatic save.

Royston Celtics under-10s A ­travelled to second placed Stevenage Town Youth Celta and came away with a 3-0 victory.

It began relatively slowly for the ­visitors, who had goalkeeper Robbie Ponting to thank for a number of key saves, keeping the Stevenage attack at bay as the first half ended goalless.

Having soaked up the pressure in the first half, Celtic started the second in a much brighter mood and soon took the lead when Eamon Henderson's strong run was finished by striker ­Lorcan George with a confident strike.

They grabbed another when the Stevenage keeper failed to collect the ball from a long clearance, and when the ball bounced loose it was Richard Jonas who reacted quickest and slotted home from a wide angle. Jonas made it three, chipping the ball over the outstretched keeper to ­guarantee the points.

Royston Celtic Under-10 B were not so fortunate in their entertaining encounter with Stevenage Town Youth Vigo and missed out on a share of the points with a narrow defeat.

Royston fell behind early on, and found themselves trailing by two goals in a matter of minutes. However, after this the Celtic defence held firm, with Ethan Lewis and Matthew Foley working well together.

And Royston's hard work eventually paid off when Jimi Smith nipped in and fired home Brandon Hargreaves' parried strike.

The visitors had a chance to equalise moments after the re-start with the move of the game that involved Ollie Green, Tom McGlynn and Hargreaves whose intelligent strike was cleared off the line.

Matthew Cudmore also went close for Celtic late on, his effort going wide of the post, and after a bright second- half display Royston were unlucky not to have taken more from the game.

Justin Leavers' hat-trick fired Royston Town Colts under-10s to a 3-1 victory over St Neots Town Youth. And despite going a goal down in the first half, Royston always looked assured and came back with a strong second- half display.

Leavers used his pace to great effect when he raced through and slotted home, and grabbed his second straight from a corner. His impressive performance was capped with a well-taken penalty midway through the half.

Royston Town Colts Under-10 B were unable to find the back of the net despite creating a number of chances, and went down 1-0 to St Neots Town Youth B.

Goalkeeper Sam Chapman had a good game for Colts, and made a great triple save late in the match.

Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-10s battled their way to a third successive away win with a 2-1 victory against Baldock Templars.

The visitors got off to a good start when Charlie Weber's shot was saved and then turned into the Baldock net by a Templars defender early on. Minutes later, James Fowkes' through ball was well controlled by Ben Webb whose strike flew past the Baldock keeper.

From then on the game was never really in any doubt, as James Rushton and Sam Bedlow controlled the midfield, while Fowkes and Eddie Twyman kept things tight at the back - although they could do nothing about Templars' well-worked consolation.

Melbourn Dynamos Tigers under-10s were not so fortunate against Baldock Crusaders, and went down 3-0. Despite creating a number of chances, Melbourn just could not find the back of the net - a problem Baldock certainly did not have.

Dani Friel was Melbourn's player-of-the-match with her strong tackling and outstanding passing. Rebecca Brooker and Jacob Rand also impressed for the Tigers, with their running causing the Crusaders all sorts of problems down the flanks.

Bedwell Rangers blew away hosts Melbourn Dynamos Panthers under-12s with a convincing 7-0 win in ­Division One.

Despite a gritty first-half ­performance, with Liam Tidey striking the bar, Melbourn struggled to contain Bedwell's lively attack, and by the break were trailing 3-0.

If not for the solid defending of Alex Martin, Ryan Redrup, Ben Cattley, and Ben Jones, it could have been a few more.

Cattley cleared one goal-bound effort from the line in the second half, before Bedwell added a scrappy fourth. From that moment the visitors upped the tempo and fired home three more before the final whistle.

Both the Melbourn Dynamos under-nines teams came unstuck against their Hitchin Town opponents, with the Panthers losing 3-2 and the Tigers 3-0.

Connor Patel started brightly in the Panthers goal, before he was beaten by a well-taken strike midway through the first half.

But Melbourn were soon on level terms, when George Storey's mazy run cut through the Hawks' defence before he fired home a cool close-range strike.

In the second half, the Hawks began to take the initiTative, with Ben Greenaway and player-of-the-match Oliver Johnson being called upon at the back.

And thanks to their strong defending, Storey was able to take advantage at the other end and put Melbourn in front with his second of the game.

However, Hitchin snatched two quick goals as Melbourn began to tire.

Depleted Tigers gifted Hitchin Harriers all three points, with two defensive mistakes giving the Harriers a early two-goal lead.

From then on it was always going to be a challenge, and Hitchin added a third just before half time. Tigers were unlucky not to grab a second-half ­consolation, going close with one powerful strike hitting the post.

Despite taking a two-goal lead Hormead Hares under-11s were unable to hold on and had to settle for a share of the spoils in a thrilling 4-4 draw against Sawbridgeworth Blue.

Bryce Hagger and Hugh Rigley gave the Hares a 2-0 advantage early in the first half, as James Scripps and Jack Taney controlled midfield.

However, by half time they were trailing after shipping three quick goals.

In the second half Hormead's spirit was rewarded when captain Edward Worby swept home a well-taken free kick.

And when Sawbridgeworth took the lead once more, the hosts' character was again called upon, and Hagger netted a late leveller with just minutes on the clock.

Baldock Town Youth Templars went down against Sandy Colts, with the hosts just doing enough for a 1-0 win and their first victory of the season.

Despite dominating the game, Baldock struggled in front of goal, with the Colts keeper in fine form ­throughout.

Sandy nabbed the winner a minute after the re-start with a scrambled ­finish from a floated corner. The visitors piled on the pressure, but found the Sandy defence a tough nut to crack.