It’s extra special for Colts

Broxbourne Borough V&E 2 Royston Town Colts U-10 4 COLTS marched into the county cup semi-final with a fine extra-time win at Broxbourne. They will now meet Hemel Hempstead Town Youth at The County Ground in Letchworth on Sunday May 20. The visitors start

Broxbourne Borough V&E 2 Royston Town Colts U-10 4

COLTS marched into the county cup semi-final with a fine extra-time win at Broxbourne.

They will now meet Hemel Hempstead Town Youth at The County Ground in Letchworth on Sunday May 20.

The visitors started well and applied pressure early on without making any clear cut chances, but it was Broxbourne who opened the scoring after eight minutes when the centre forward controlled the ball and turned well to get a shot away to score.

He was involved again two minutes later to make it 2-0 and Colts were struggling to cope with his strength.

It was obvious at this point a tactical change was required and on came Reece King into midfield, Stephen Thake was pushed out to left back and Matthew Stout dropped back to centre defence from midfield to try and contain the centre forward.

Most Read

This seemed to work well and Colts gradually got their composure back and started to press Broxbourne back again.

Royston needed a goal before the half-time and King duly delivered after a cross from Jake Long went past the far post and from a tight angle King fired the ball home into the roof of the net to put Colts back in contention.

The second half brought more of the same with Colts controlling the game and Broxbourne looking dangerous on the counter attack.

Colts were unlucky not to equalise when Jordan Campbell fired in a shot that hit a post after a mazy run through the midfield, and Stephen Thake also came close with a couple of headers from corners.

However, Colts got their reward after a long range pass from Long found King on the edge of the box and on the half volley he fired in the equaliser after it hit the underside of the bar.

Royston were now looking the more dangerous of the two sides as the referee blew for full time.

The first half of extra-time was a stalemate.

However, within seconds of the second half Long found himself with the ball at his feet and back to goal with defender and keeper behind him, a quick turn and snapshot saw the ball nestle in the back of the net.

Long was in the thick of it again a couple of minutes later when he went past a defender in the box only to be up-ended and Colts were awarded a penalty.

Campbell stepped up and coolly slotted the ball home to give Colts an excellent victory and book their place in the final

Coach Paul Stout said: "The boys were obviously nervous through the early stages of this encounter and the two early goals for Broxbourne shook them to life, they battled back superbly to gain this victory, they just don't give up and the whole team should be proud of themselves."

Colts: Corey Anderson, Richard Jonas, Jack Jefferies, Stephen Thake, Jordan Campbell, Matthew Stout, Reece King, Jake Long.

Royston Town Colts U-15 7 Buntingford Cougars 0

A HAT-TRICK apiece from Colts' strike partnership of Conor Barnard and Dominic Oxenford saw Royston cruise past Buntingford and bag three more valuable points.

Colts impressed from the off and pegged their opponents back by playing some excellent attacking football.

Their enterprising play was rewarded on 14 minutes, when Roger Skeggs delivered a perfect pass to Oxenford, who coolly lofted the ball over the keeper.

Moments later the Royston lead was doubled, after the Cougars' keeper deflected a shot into the path of Oxenford, who snapped up his second with ease.

Colts then grabbed another, when Adam Jinkerson's superb run and cross found Barnard unmarked from 10 yards. Buntingford tried to mount a comeback, but found the Colts' defence too hard to break.

Royston kept their momentum in the second-half, and added a fourth when Barnard pounced on another pinpoint delivery. Four became five, when Oxenford rose highest in the box, and completed his impressive hat-trick.

More chances followed, and it was the in-form Barnard who made it 6-0 after some great play from Skeggs and Richard Chapman. Royston completed the rout in the final minutes of the match, with a fine individual goal from Jinkerson.

Baldock Lancers U-15 2

Royston Town Colts 2

ROYSTON'S second fixture in a crowded week came in the form of a tough top-of-the-table clash.

Despite a bright Colts start, Baldock proved fast on the break and started to play an effective long ball game that tore into Royston's stretched back line.

As possession went from one to another, both clubs found chances few and far between.

Royston did open the scoring midway through the half, a goal that came courtesy of a great flick from Conor Barnard.

Moments before half-time Baldock had a chance to level from the spot, but Colts' keeper Tom Monti pulled off a magnificent save.

However, the home side did level midway through the second-half after a brief lapse in concentration left Monti stranded in his box.

Royston thought they had stolen the points with 10 minutes to go, when Oxenford latched on to a long throw with a delightful looping header. Soon after their second goal, the Colts defence slipped up again and allowed Baldock through one last time in the final minutes of the match.