It’s checkmate for super Crows in historic victory
Chess Valley 0 Royston 19 ROYSTON recorded their first victory against Chess Valley to reach the Herts President s Cup semi-final. Despite fielding a changed line-up, Royston started the game at pace and soon had Chess pinned down in their 22. This is wh
Chess Valley 0 Royston 19
ROYSTON recorded their first victory against Chess Valley to reach the Herts President's Cup semi-final.
Despite fielding a changed line-up, Royston started the game at pace and soon had Chess pinned down in their 22.
This is where Royston stayed for 80 percent of the first half, and as they dominated the game they were awarded four penalties - all of which were converted by Jack Siret to send them into half-time with a 12-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
After a storming performance by Mills in the first half, it was decided to give the experience of Green a run in the second half with Shakelton moving to hooker.
Easy stepped into second row from his favoured position of prop and Morris moved to the flank.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
The visitors continued to dominate after the break, with Chess pinned back again in their own half.
Royston's tries this year have come mostly from there backs with there fast expansive play, however this has only been possible due to the power of the pack winning good clean ball.
This was of evidence again today with Royston putting pressure on all of Chess Valley's scrums pushing them pack at every opportunity stopping them from winning clean ball.
Turner made the way for Marvel at fly half and with the latter's vision and Easy's storming run put Davis over in the corner only to be brought back for dropping the ball over the line. However Royston would not be denied, with good ball won from a Royston scrum, Marvel sent the ball out down the backs with Chess pushing up in defence Clay looked to put the ball to winger Ball.
With no space out wide and the try line beckoning Clay straightened his run and with three Valley players attempting tackles went under the posts for the first try of the match. Siret slotted home the conversion to wrap up the victory.
"This was a very pleasing win especially as it was our first win over Chess Valley" said captain Steve Clay.
"The most pleasing part was the emergence of Steve Mills and Sam Morris who have stepped up from the second team and will be pushing regular first team players for places.
"The players should be very proud of their performance, and there is no reason why a similar result can not follow against Barnet in the semi-finals this weekend.