Improved first team earn draw at St Albans

Royston Hockey Club round-up

ROYSTON Men’s is put in a much-improved performance to earn a 1-1 draw on Saturday at St Albans Exiles.

Royston got off to the best possible start by taking the lead with a Nick Ross short corner. However, despite dominating the match the hosts drew level minuets later.

Royston continued to look threatening in attack, and once again went ahead with a second by Ross. Royston’s season has been strewn with lacklustre performances, as they proceeded to take their foot off the accelerator and let St Albans back into the game.

The second equaliser came shortly before half time as the teams went into the break level pegging. Stout defending and a hint of good fortune in the second period menat Royston came out of the match with a share of the spoils.

The Men’s IIs lost 2-0 to Stevenage IIIs to bring their eight-match unbeaten run to an end.

In the first few minutes, good attacking play led to chances including Nigel Philipps hitting the post, but it was Stevenage who scored a poachers goal which unsettled Royston.

Most Read

Royston’s heads dropped uncharacteristically in the second half as Stevenage scored a second to finish the game off.

The Men’s IIIs secured an important three points with a 2-1 victory over Luton Town IIIs at Bassingbourn Barracks.

Royston took the game to the visitors from the start, and went ahead via their second short corner. An inadvertent dummy at the top of the circle between Tim Yow and Dan Smith induced a fatal hesitation in the Luton defenders, giving Smith the space to unleash a powerful drive.

Royston had a chance to double their advantage when the Luton ‘keeper was adjudged to have fouled Yow seriously enough for a penalty stroke to be awarded. Yow took responsibility from the spot, but the stopper redeemed himself with a good save.

Royston gave themselves breathing space with 10 minutes remaining when Keith Markham showed good determination to catch up with a ball that looked like it was running out of play. Markham’s first time shot from the narrowest possible angle was helped home by a mistake from the Luton ‘keeper. This two-goal cushion was to prove vital as Luton reduced their arrears when they intercepted a clearance and fired unopposed past Orme.

The Men’s IVs were on the wrong end of a 6-0 scoreline against Potters Bar.

An inexperienced Royston team were unable to carve out any meaningful chances and were outplayed on the day.

The Ladies Is were unfortunate to lose 3-2 against Bedford IIs.

Royston found themselves 2-0 down at half time but went into the second half looking to turn things around. Within the first few minutes Royston were awarded a penalty corner which was neatly put away by Wendy Holt. This lifted Royston’s spirits and they controlled the game, causing Bedford to sit back in their defensive half.

Royston brought themselves right back into the match when Payer of the Match Kirsty McKenzie converted a secondfor Royston.

Royston were then unlucky to concede another goal shortly before the end of the game to lose the match.

The Ladies IIs went down 5-1 against a strong Bedford Town IIIs team.

There were some bright points - Lucy Richardson (Player of the Match) played her first league match for the IIs and scored a great goal while new ‘keeper Sarah Gourd put in a much improved performance.