Impressive Celtic unable to ward off Elsenham threat
Elsenham Youth under-12 3 Royston Celtic under-12 Greens 3 Under-12s Division Four CELTIC were up against top-of-the-table Elsenham Youth on Sunday and could have gone in front early on through Matthew Cudmore. After 10 minutes Celtic broke down the righ
Elsenham Youth under-12 3 Royston Celtic under-12 Greens 3
Under-12s Division Four
CELTIC were up against top-of-the-table Elsenham Youth on Sunday and could have gone in front early on through Matthew Cudmore.
After 10 minutes Celtic broke down the right hand flank with Danny Mynott taking the ball a good distance before finishing well with a shot over the 'keeper and into the left hand side of the goal.
You may also want to watch:
Just three minutes later Ollie Green latched on to a good through ball and then applied a clinical finish to put Celtic 2-0 up before further pressure on the home team forced them to concede a corner.
From the resulting goalmouth scramble Charlie Edwards drilled a powerful shot into the far right-hand corner of the net with the Elsenham goalkeeper unable to stop it.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
It looked as if there was only one team in it at this stage with Celtic 3-0 up after only 17 minutes and they could have had a fourth if another shot had not come back off the post with the Elsenham 'keeper beaten all ends up.
The little threat that was posed by Elsenham was competently dealt with by the Celtic defence including Jack Ison and Ethan Lewis who both made some good clearances.
Matthew Foley was also putting in another strong performance in midfield before getting an injury towards the end of the first half which left him unable to move freely for the whole of the second half.
Just 10 seconds before the half-time whistle Elsenham forced a corner from which Bertie Alabaster headed home.
Immediately after the break Celtic conceded another goal following a swift Elsenham attack and Alabaster struck again.
Elsenham now looked dangerous every time they got the ball but it was not until the 13th minute of the second half that they broke through the Celtic and it was that man Alabaster once again as he completed his hat-trick stubborn resistance from goalkeeper Ryan Judge.
Tom McGee also made some calm interventions at crucial points.
Celtic managed to keep themselves in the game and in central midfield Robbie Filby had a storming game in support of both defence and attack.
The game finally ended 3-3 after it could have gone either way in the last few minutes with Celtic applying more pressure.
Although in one sense a disappointing result it was a very creditable performance by Celtic against a team with a previous 100 per cent record.
Celtic: Ryan Judge, Jack Ison, Tom McGee, Ethan Lewis, Charlie Edwards, Danny Mynott, Robbie Filby, Matthew Foley, Brandon Hargreaves, Ollie Green, Matthew Cudmore.