Hole in one joy for Smith
Royston Golf Club round-up
A HOLE in one is a feat many golfers never achieve in their lifetime. But not for 13-year-old Emily Smith, who hit her first-ever ace at Royston Golf Club recently.
She was competing in the Junior Medal, and produced her moment of magic on the 224-yard tenth hole – the longest par-three on the course for ladies.
The excellent shot, however, was not enough to help her win the event, as she finished eight shots behind new member Robbie Norman, who carded a fantastic nett 59.
Junior captain, Luke Bailey, continued his fine form to finish second with 66 while Smith and George Sanders tied third with 67s.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Jim Hart won the Saturday Stableford with an impressive 40 points in tough conditions. The 17-handicapper came home in just 39 shots to win by two points from Simon Elliott, Scott Parnell, Stuart Knight and Ben Bennett.
The Midweek Stableford, played last Wednesday, saw Mike Taylor lead the way with a fine 38 points. He finished four points clear of Tony Blatchford and Malcolm Watts. Blatchford took the runners-up spot by virtue of countback.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
Finally, in the Fourball Betterball Stableford event, Mark bonnet and Lee Bonney came out on top with 42 points ahead of Martin Pendrick and Jason Nolan (41), and Stuart Hunt and Chris Coote (41).