Hole in one joy for Smith
Royston Golf Club round-up
A HOLE in one is a feat many golfers never achieve in their lifetime. But not for 13-year-old Emily Smith, who hit her first-ever ace at Royston Golf Club recently.
She was competing in the Junior Medal, and produced her moment of magic on the 224-yard tenth hole – the longest par-three on the course for ladies.
The excellent shot, however, was not enough to help her win the event, as she finished eight shots behind new member Robbie Norman, who carded a fantastic nett 59.
Junior captain, Luke Bailey, continued his fine form to finish second with 66 while Smith and George Sanders tied third with 67s.
Meanwhile, Jim Hart won the Saturday Stableford with an impressive 40 points in tough conditions. The 17-handicapper came home in just 39 shots to win by two points from Simon Elliott, Scott Parnell, Stuart Knight and Ben Bennett.
The Midweek Stableford, played last Wednesday, saw Mike Taylor lead the way with a fine 38 points. He finished four points clear of Tony Blatchford and Malcolm Watts. Blatchford took the runners-up spot by virtue of countback.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 8 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 9 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
- 10 Cambridge Country Show returns with something for all the family
Finally, in the Fourball Betterball Stableford event, Mark bonnet and Lee Bonney came out on top with 42 points ahead of Martin Pendrick and Jason Nolan (41), and Stuart Hunt and Chris Coote (41).