Hole in one joy for Smith
Royston Golf Club round-up
A HOLE in one is a feat many golfers never achieve in their lifetime. But not for 13-year-old Emily Smith, who hit her first-ever ace at Royston Golf Club recently.
She was competing in the Junior Medal, and produced her moment of magic on the 224-yard tenth hole – the longest par-three on the course for ladies.
The excellent shot, however, was not enough to help her win the event, as she finished eight shots behind new member Robbie Norman, who carded a fantastic nett 59.
Junior captain, Luke Bailey, continued his fine form to finish second with 66 while Smith and George Sanders tied third with 67s.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Jim Hart won the Saturday Stableford with an impressive 40 points in tough conditions. The 17-handicapper came home in just 39 shots to win by two points from Simon Elliott, Scott Parnell, Stuart Knight and Ben Bennett.
The Midweek Stableford, played last Wednesday, saw Mike Taylor lead the way with a fine 38 points. He finished four points clear of Tony Blatchford and Malcolm Watts. Blatchford took the runners-up spot by virtue of countback.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
Finally, in the Fourball Betterball Stableford event, Mark bonnet and Lee Bonney came out on top with 42 points ahead of Martin Pendrick and Jason Nolan (41), and Stuart Hunt and Chris Coote (41).