Hockey: Winning weekend for Crows’ men’s teams
- Credit: Archant
A spectacular weekend saw every team in Royston Hockey Club’s men’s section win their fixtures.
A Michael Priest hat-trick saw the 1sts continue their unbeaten start to 2014 with a 3-0 win over Harpenden 2nds. They will look to continue their winning form on Saturday when they travel to Southend.
The 2nds squeaked a win in a nine-goal thriller against fellow strugglers Stevenage 2nds. The Crows fell two goals behind before Graham Mac hauled them back into the game with a solo effort and Fraser Deeprose levelled when he slapped a loose ball into the net.
Deeprose added his second soon after but Stevenage did not wilt and equalised to make it 3-3 before taking a slender lead.
This time it was Royston who had to respond, and respond they did with goals from Darren Hicks and skipper Owen Russell to win the game 5-4.
You may also want to watch:
The 3rds strolled past Bedford 5ths, winning 4-1, thanks to a three-goal haul for Josh Montague-Fuller and a single from Carl Taylor.
There was another hat-trick in the 4ths’ game, this time from Steve Gourd, as they overcame Hertford 4ths 4-0. Chris Berry netted the other goal.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
In the ladies section, the 1sts and 2nds added wins to the club’s impressive weekend but the 3rds and 4ths were on the wrong end of losing scorelines.
Against Bourne Deeping, the 1sts went a goal down early on, which only served to galvanise the side. Vicki Bidwell levelled the game prior to half-time before a 10-minute frenzy in the second saw Sophie Gathercole, Ali Carroll and Julie Walsh put the result beyond doubt.
The 2nds routed Chiltern 2nds 5-0. After a slow start, in which they were indebted to goalkeeper Caroline Beddlecombe for keeping the scores level, Heidi Whittaker and Wendy Holt broke the deadlock.
Further goals from Whittaker, who completed her hat-trick, and Zoe Andrews put a gloss on the final score.
The 3rds lost 4-2 to Berkhamsted and Hemel. Rachael Savage and Gill Richardson scored the goals. The 4ths were narrowly beaten, 1-0, by Letchworth 5ths.