Hockey: Winning weekend for Crows’ men’s teams
- Credit: Archant
A spectacular weekend saw every team in Royston Hockey Club’s men’s section win their fixtures.
A Michael Priest hat-trick saw the 1sts continue their unbeaten start to 2014 with a 3-0 win over Harpenden 2nds. They will look to continue their winning form on Saturday when they travel to Southend.
The 2nds squeaked a win in a nine-goal thriller against fellow strugglers Stevenage 2nds. The Crows fell two goals behind before Graham Mac hauled them back into the game with a solo effort and Fraser Deeprose levelled when he slapped a loose ball into the net.
Deeprose added his second soon after but Stevenage did not wilt and equalised to make it 3-3 before taking a slender lead.
This time it was Royston who had to respond, and respond they did with goals from Darren Hicks and skipper Owen Russell to win the game 5-4.
You may also want to watch:
The 3rds strolled past Bedford 5ths, winning 4-1, thanks to a three-goal haul for Josh Montague-Fuller and a single from Carl Taylor.
There was another hat-trick in the 4ths’ game, this time from Steve Gourd, as they overcame Hertford 4ths 4-0. Chris Berry netted the other goal.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 9 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 10 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
In the ladies section, the 1sts and 2nds added wins to the club’s impressive weekend but the 3rds and 4ths were on the wrong end of losing scorelines.
Against Bourne Deeping, the 1sts went a goal down early on, which only served to galvanise the side. Vicki Bidwell levelled the game prior to half-time before a 10-minute frenzy in the second saw Sophie Gathercole, Ali Carroll and Julie Walsh put the result beyond doubt.
The 2nds routed Chiltern 2nds 5-0. After a slow start, in which they were indebted to goalkeeper Caroline Beddlecombe for keeping the scores level, Heidi Whittaker and Wendy Holt broke the deadlock.
Further goals from Whittaker, who completed her hat-trick, and Zoe Andrews put a gloss on the final score.
The 3rds lost 4-2 to Berkhamsted and Hemel. Rachael Savage and Gill Richardson scored the goals. The 4ths were narrowly beaten, 1-0, by Letchworth 5ths.