Hockey: Ladies’ 2nds remain perfect to win league title
- Credit: Archant
Royston Hockey Club’s ladies’ 2nds stayed perfect to confirm their Division Three league title on Saturday.
They beat St Neots 3-0 to take their league record to 18 wins in 18 games having scored 107 and conceded just 10.
After the game, captain Martine Powley said: “This result is a true reflection of the hard work, team work and determination the entire team have put in all season.
“A fairly new team at the beginning of the season, we are now a well bonded and tight knit team, who are friendly, have fun and play hard and smart hockey.
“Everyone has improved in one way or another in their skills and game play, and I thank both vice-captain Denise Underwood for her brilliant coaching, both on and off the pitch, especially with the junior players, and Wendy Holt for her inspirational talks and also coaching within the team.”
Holt is currently the highest goal scorer in the 5 Counties League since the records began in 2000 and is currently top in the standings at Royston Hockey Club, across both the men’s and ladies’ sections.
In the final game of the season, the Crows scored all three goals in the first-half. Holt got the ball rolling by drawing the keeper out before slipping it into the net. Kelly Condra added the second, her first goal in over seven years, before Holt capped off the game and the perfect season.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
Elsewhere, the 1sts were held to a 2-2 draw by league leaders Letchworth, Sophie Gathercole and Sarah Buckerfield scored. The 3rds were beaten 3-0 by Rickmansworth.
In the men’s section, only a loss by the men’s 3rds, who went down 3-0 at Stevenage 4ths, kept Royston from an unbeaten weekend. The 2nds and 4ths were winners against Harpenden and Berkhamsted respectively while the 1sts shared the spoils with Wapping.