Historic cup win for Cougars
FOR the first time in Buntingford Cougars 36-year history, a Cougars side have been crowned Herts County Cup champions following the under-10 Blues 2-1 victory over Broxbourne Rangers Youth Reds. At The County Ground, Letchworth, in front of a large cr
FOR the first time in Buntingford Cougars' 36-year history, a Cougars side have been crowned Herts County Cup champions following the under-10 Blues' 2-1 victory over Broxbourne Rangers Youth Reds.
At The County Ground, Letchworth, in front of a large crowd, it was the Cougars who made the brighter start, pushing hard with Charlie Owen almost opening the scoring.
Broxbourne were denied by impressive defending from Louie Debnam and Conner Bridge, but took the lead when a cross was deflected past his own keeper by Harry Andic.
In the second half, Cougars were thwarted by a number of good saves from Rangers keeper Marco Tuzzeo.
But they equalised with a well-taken goal from Owen.
In extra time Cougars' Charlie Rome was unlucky not to edge his side in front when his clever strike was pushed away by player-of-the-match Tuzzeo.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
But with a penalty shootout looming, Andic made up for his own goal, with a superb winner.
n Pictured are manager Shaun Debnam and assistant manager Martin Stevens, with players Charlie Owen, Thomas Burns, Louie Debnam, Ben Walker, Charlie Rome, Conner Bridge, Joshua Coldicott-Stevens, Reece Fitzgerald and Jack Caine.