Heslam just misses out on ton
IT was a case of so near and so far for Reed s third team, as they narrowly failed to get their first league win of the season with a draw against Letchworth. Batting first, Reed got off to a steady start, when at 42-2 John Heslam joined Masseh Naeem at
IT was a case of so near and so far for Reed's third team, as they narrowly failed to get their first league win of the season with a draw against Letchworth.
Batting first, Reed got off to a steady start, when at 42-2 John Heslam joined Masseh Naeem at the crease.
The pair rapidly set about establishing a significant Reed total as they despatched any loose deliveries with ease.
Naeem rattled up 10 fours and two sixes as he strode to 77, and the duo quickly set a new Reed third team record partnership of 148.
You may also want to watch:
When Naeem finally fell, Heslam continued to dominate, and his innings of 94 only ended when he attempted to reach the magic 100 by launching the ball for six, but was caught at long off.
John Kershaw then added a solid 30 before Reed declared at 258 for 5 off 45 overs.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
After the interval, Reed took to the field and were soon causing their opponents trouble, with Neil Haslam's (2-38) and Ian Roberts' (1-16) intelligent bowling.
However, Letchworth hit back, and although wickets fell regularly the overs began to drip away.
Father and son Alan (2-13) and Kieran Ward (2-31) made inroads, but the Letchworth combination of Turner (27) and Swain (15) did enough to grind out a draw and restrict Reed to 18 league points.