Heslam just misses out on ton
IT was a case of so near and so far for Reed s third team, as they narrowly failed to get their first league win of the season with a draw against Letchworth. Batting first, Reed got off to a steady start, when at 42-2 John Heslam joined Masseh Naeem at
IT was a case of so near and so far for Reed's third team, as they narrowly failed to get their first league win of the season with a draw against Letchworth.
Batting first, Reed got off to a steady start, when at 42-2 John Heslam joined Masseh Naeem at the crease.
The pair rapidly set about establishing a significant Reed total as they despatched any loose deliveries with ease.
Naeem rattled up 10 fours and two sixes as he strode to 77, and the duo quickly set a new Reed third team record partnership of 148.
When Naeem finally fell, Heslam continued to dominate, and his innings of 94 only ended when he attempted to reach the magic 100 by launching the ball for six, but was caught at long off.
John Kershaw then added a solid 30 before Reed declared at 258 for 5 off 45 overs.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 8 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 9 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 10 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
After the interval, Reed took to the field and were soon causing their opponents trouble, with Neil Haslam's (2-38) and Ian Roberts' (1-16) intelligent bowling.
However, Letchworth hit back, and although wickets fell regularly the overs began to drip away.
Father and son Alan (2-13) and Kieran Ward (2-31) made inroads, but the Letchworth combination of Turner (27) and Swain (15) did enough to grind out a draw and restrict Reed to 18 league points.