Heslam, 13, sets up Barley victory
IT was a good day at the office for Barley seconds as they saw off Thriplow thirds by seven wickets. Thriplow skipper Ken Ayre won the toss and decided to bat, and the opening pair put on 62, with Oliver Richer hitting an entertaining 37. However, Barl
IT was a good day at the office for Barley seconds as they saw off Thriplow thirds by seven wickets.
Thriplow skipper Ken Ayre won the toss and decided to bat, and the opening pair put on 62, with Oliver Richer hitting an entertaining 37.
However, Barley's wily Eric Davis bowled some challenging leg spin, conceding just 17 runs from his 10 overs.
It was however, the deceptive bowling of Jack Hawkins that turned the game, when he picked up four wickets for just 27 runs.
You may also want to watch:
From then on the Thriplow innings went rapidly downhill, as Matthew George 2 for 12, and Eddie Collins 2 for 7, bowled them all out in the 37th over for 110.
Barley lost skipper Phillip George for 3. But John Heslam then joined his son William at the wicket, and the 13-year-old led the way with his maiden 50 for Barley.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Heslam senior also played his part with a well-worked 31, as the father and son partnership put on 75 for the second wicket.
The youngster finally fell for a stylish 56, and that gave Jerry Carlisle the chance to prove his worth, and he saw Barley home with 18 overs to spare.