Can you guess who finished third in previous World Cups?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s the fixture that no team wants to play, and that nobody remembers, but do you know who won the third place play-off game in previous World Cups?
As much as they won’t want to, two sides will have to kick off at the Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg on July 14.
In 2014, Dutch manager Louis Van Gaal shared his views on the tie: “I think this match should never be played.
“I’ve been saying that for 10 years. We’ll have to play that match. It’s unfair - we have one day less to recover than our opponents, too, so that’s not fair play.
“The worst thing is I believe that, chances are, you lose twice in a row and a tournament where you’ve played so marvellously well you’ll leave as a loser after losing the last two matches.
You may also want to watch:
“That’s my view, but I said that 15 years ago, 10 years ago. In a tournament, you shouldn’t have players play a match for third or fourth place. There’s only one award that counts, and that’s being world champion.”
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 6 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 7 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 8 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love