Hero Lewis as vets hit back
Knebworth 4 Royston Vets 4 PAUL LEWIS scored a hatrick as Royston staged a dramatic second-half recovery to come from 4-0 down to draw 4-4. Town fielded two debutants in defender Geoff Pinner and midfielder Martin Maddocks. Despite enjoying much of t
Royston Vets 4
PAUL LEWIS scored a hatrick as Royston staged a dramatic second-half recovery to come from 4-0 down to draw 4-4.
Town fielded two debutants in defender Geoff Pinner and midfielder Martin Maddocks.
You may also want to watch:
Despite enjoying much of the early possession, defensive lapses and a couple of goalkeeping errors cost them dear, and they were four down within 20 minutes.
However, they continued to create chances, with Paul Lewis, Calrlo Silenti, and Dickie Harris going close.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
Some inspired saves from the home keeper kept them at bay until the 40th minute, when a shot from Daryl Quinn was parried into the path of Mark Saggers, who made no mistake from close range.
Town continued to press, with Lewis and Colin McArthur both going close.
Their pressure was rewarded when Harris nodded down Ian Allen's cross for Lewis to sweep the ball into the net.
The third goal came with Allen providing a teasing centre which caused havoc in the Knebworth defence and allowed Lewis to score his second.
The comeback was complete 20 minutes from time when Lewis collected the ball on the right of the area, and smashed it into the roof of the net for his hat-trick.
Royston pushed for a winner, but with Saggers succumbing to an Achilles injury, they had to settle for a well-earned draw.
Royston: Chaffey, King, Pinner, Silenti, Allen, Quinn, Harris, Saggers, Maddocks, Lewis, McArthur.