Helen charges to trophy triumph
Helen Leigh set a blistering pace to win Heydon Grange s Ladies June Trophy with 49 points, earning her a six shot handicap cut! This inspired her husband Tony when it came to the Men s Club Championship, in which he carded a first round net 72 to be o
Helen Leigh set a blistering pace to win Heydon Grange's Ladies June Trophy with 49 points, earning her a six shot handicap cut!
This inspired her husband Tony when it came to the Men's Club Championship, in which he carded a first round net 72 to be one shot off the pace in the net competition.
He more than held his nerve in the second round over the Europro course with a net 70, only to be denied at the finishing post on countback by Heydon's leading junior David Jolley.
Playing off 12, a mediocre first round of net 79 left Jolley seemingly out of the running - but he came storming back with a gross 75 (net 63) in the second round - the best gross or net round in the entire field over both days
In the Club Championship gross competition, Mel Marks posted a leading first round score of 77, but was overhauled by Ian Brushett with rounds of 78 and 76 to win by nine shots from Altus Laubscher.
It was Brushett's seventh title as club champion in nine years, after two years just missing out on top spot.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 10 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
Tina Broadley won the Broadley Bowl for the first time, finishing four holes up against the course in a round consisting of 14 pars, and winning on countback from Tammini Hurst.