Hayden and Ogilvie propel Foxton to all three points
Foxton 3 Hardwick 1 A MATT Hayden brace helped Foxton to a win against promotion chasing Hardwick on Tuesday evening. The two teams had met just ten days ago in a tense 1-1 draw, but home advantage and a quick start helped propel Foxton to an important t
Foxton 3 Hardwick 1
A MATT Hayden brace helped Foxton to a win against promotion chasing Hardwick on Tuesday evening.
The two teams had met just ten days ago in a tense 1-1 draw, but home advantage and a quick start helped propel Foxton to an important three points in their hunt for promotion.
Within five minutes they took the lead when some good interplay down the right wing led to an Iain Tokley cross being met by Matt Hayden's head 12 yards from goal and the poached diverted the ball cleverly up and over the Hardwick keeper.
Hardwick, with a strong and experienced forward line, shook off their early set back and made a determined effort to get back on terms.
A number of deep crosses and long throws caused problems for Foxton but Dan Hoggarth and Ed Ranner at the back were determined not to give anything away.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 6 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 7 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Hardwick did manage to get the ball over the line once when Matt Clements converted following an error by stand-in keeper Andy Cambridge, but the effort was ruled out for offside.
Foxton came out with a more positive attitude in the second half and began to put some good moves together.
Stuart Ogilvie went close with a header which he put onto the bar, but he didn't waste his next chance when, after receiving the ball with his back to goal, he made a neat turn and guided his shot into the corner of the net, doubling Foxton's lead.
Hayden scored Foxton's third and probably the best goal of the game, a move he himself started on the half way line.
The ball was passed out left were Carlow Lawrence and Adam Fields combined well before finding Hayden who coolly curled the ball past the stationary keeper after he had continued his run into the box
Ogilvie had another chance but was denied by the keeper, and Hardwick, who had already hit the woodwork twice, were eventually rewarded with a late penalty which Paul de Luca converted.
Foxton: Cambridge, Chamberlain, Hoggarth, Ranner, Margiotta, Tokley, Ogilvie, Swinton, Wellstead, Hayden, Lawrence. Subs: Fields, Aristo, Davenport, Williams.