Hat-tricks for Holt and Lees as Morden beat Girton
Steeple Morden 7 Girton United A 0 STEEPLE Morden secured safe passage into round three of the Lower Junior Challenge Cup on Saturday with a 7-0 defeat of Division 5C outfit Girton United A. Despite the comfortable score line Steeple Morden s performance
Steeple Morden 7 Girton United A 0
STEEPLE Morden secured safe passage into round three of the Lower Junior Challenge Cup on Saturday with a 7-0 defeat of Division 5C outfit Girton United A.
Despite the comfortable score line Steeple Morden's performance was somewhat disjointed in the first half.
Kenny Watters had decided to shuffle his pack following last weeks John Ablett Cup exit and Steeple looked a little nervous, however they still went into the break with a two goal lead after Ben Holt had found the top corner from 25 yards and Martyn Lees controlled well on the edge of the box, and fired into the bottom left corner.
Morden were instructed to kill off the game early in the second half, and that's exactly what they did. Two more goals each for Ben Holt and Martyn Lees completed their hat-tricks and put Morden six goals to the good.
In the final 15 minutes there was constant pressure on the visitors' goal as Paul Hutley crashed a header against the bar from a corner and both Holt and Scott Kirbyshire also went close.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
The final goal came from the left foot of young Jack Tidey who decided to curl the ball into the net from the right hand side.
The Girton goalkeeper was clearly not expecting this and the ball sailed in at the far post as Tidey had planned.
Morden have booked themselves a home tie against Sawston United Reserves on November 14.
Their next match however, sees them resume their league campaign with a trip to Foxton Reserves on Saturday.
Steeple Morden: Smith, Carlton (Clark), Kirbyshire, Donald, Collins, Chapman (Tidey), Cooke (Hutley), Prothero, Oxonford, Holt, Lees.