Hat-trick hero Cooke’s on boil
Fowlmere 3 Great Chishill 0 STEVE Cooke s hat-trick made the difference for Fowlmere as the BIS Division 1A side got back to winning ways in the Junior Invitation Cup. After last weekend s Creake Charity Shield penalty shootout defeat, Fowlmere were in
Fowlmere 3 Great Chishill 0
STEVE Cooke's hat-trick made the difference for Fowlmere as the BIS Division 1A side got back to winning ways in the Junior Invitation Cup.
After last weekend's Creake Charity Shield penalty shootout defeat, Fowlmere were in front after 15 minutes when Cooke's solo run was finished with a powerful strike that left Chishill keeper Ian Gallagher with little chance.
And despite Chishill playing some attractive football, their opponents' one-goal advantage quickly became two when the impressive Cooke fired in an angled drive from the edge of the box.
After the break both teams continued with their varied spells of possession as Tom Hodge joined the Chishill attack in the hope of snatching a goal back, although it was to be a day when the visitors' play lacked any real end product.
Steve McGee and Oli Fitzgerald both went close for the BIS Division 2A side, with the latter seeing his low strike hitting the outside of the post.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
However, at the other end Fowlmere proved their worth when Cooke wrapped up the victory, bundling home Karyl Darcey's corner from the left.
Fowlmere head coach Steve Walker said: "It was a good game and a pleasing win for us.
"Chishill are a very good team and battled hard throughout.
"Both teams saw a lot of the ball, and I think at the end of the day the difference was in the final third.
"In Steve Cooke, we have a player who knows where the goal is, and he played really well on Saturday with a brilliant hat-trick.
"Often that can be the difference, and again it's nice to progress further.
"Hopefully we're back to winning ways.