Hat trick hero Carl books Shield passage
Fowlmere 6 Whittlesford United 2 Carl Frostick bagged a hat-trick as Fowlmere ran out convincing winners against Whittlesford in this Creake Charity Shield first round derby. A blend of fast passing football by the home side proved too much for their gue
Fowlmere 6 Whittlesford United 2
Carl Frostick bagged a hat-trick as Fowlmere ran out convincing winners against Whittlesford in this Creake Charity Shield first round derby.
A blend of fast passing football by the home side proved too much for their guests, who included former Fowlmere players Yaz Sejtaniac and Johnny Fleck.
The home team went ahead after three minutes when Frostick finished off a fine move, hitting the ball across the keeper after meeting a pass from Shaun Audley.
The visitors were caught on the break far too often, and Fowlmere went two up when a cross from Frostick was met by Audley who put the ball in the back of the net.
Frostick continued his devastating first-half performance by lobbing the ball over the Whittlesford keeper a few minutes later to score his second and the team's third.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
Fowlmere leaked a goal just before half-time, but went in happy at 3-1 up.
Aware that the next goal would prove invaluable, Fowlmere came out looking confident and Ian Ruggles soon put his team out of reach by slotting home after a goalmouth scramble.
The goal-fest continued well into the second half when Dan Caley volleyed home Fowlmere's fifth goal into the top right corner, before Whittlesford scored a second goal to make it 5-2.
Frostick then put his name on the match ball when he sealed his hat-trick with ten minutes remaining to finish off a comprehensive victory.
Fowlmere manager Steve Walker praised his squad's strength in depth.
He said: "We made a few changes and rotated the squad to keep all our players interested, and it was pleasing to see four midfielders on the scoresheet.
"It was always going to be a tough game because Whittlesford are in the division below us, and teams in that division want to emulate teams above them.
"The team worked hard and it was another good performance."
Fowlmere: Harben, King, Darcy, Ridings, O'Farrell, Frostick, Woods, Ruggles, Caley, Audley, Mizon. Subs: Kue, Polle, Fidget.