Haslop goal gives Steeple a point
Steeple Morden 2 Withersfield 2 STEEPLE Morden came from behind to gain a deserved BIS League Division 3A point at a soggy Recreation Ground, on Saturday. The visitors started the brighter without seriously troubling the Steeple defence marshalled by th
Steeple Morden 2 Withersfield 2
STEEPLE Morden came from behind to gain a deserved BIS League Division 3A point at a soggy Recreation Ground, on Saturday.
The visitors started the brighter without seriously troubling the Steeple defence marshalled by the recalled Paul Hutley.
As Steeple began to take control they were hit by a surprise strike when a clearance went the length of the pitch and was met by a stunning cross-shot that flew past the helpless Brian Sarll.
You may also want to watch:
It could have been worse for Morden but for a goal-line clearance from a free header. The first half closed with Steeple pressing hard but Ben Holt was denied by a defender on the line.
Just before the break Jamie Murphy brought the best out of the Withersfield keeper with a thunderous effort that was heading for the top corner.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
The heavy pitch took its toll on the visitors and Steeple began to dominate the second half although Brian Sarll made a fine save after a rare break from the opposition.
After a number of wasted chances Steeple were caught on the break again and conceded from a close range header.
Skipper Nick Carlton drove Steeple on in search of a response and after riding their luck the visitors conceded when top scorer Ben Holt converted a perfect Roy Dunsford cross.
With time running out, substitute Lawrie Haslop got the equaliser the spirited Steeple side deserved. Ben Holt broke clear and drew a good save from the keeper but Haslop followed up to smash home the rebound to the delight of the home supporters.
B Sarll, B Morris (G Collins) , P Hutley, D Watters, M Carlton, K Parr (L Haslop), N Carlton,J Murphy, C Prothero (J Morris), R Dunsford, B Holt
- Steeple are at home again on Saturday when Great Chesterford are the visitors.