Harrison takes Royston Golf Club seniors’ Winter League event
- Credit: Archant
Royston Golf Club’s Thursday Roll-Up was won by Dave Millership with a total of 40 points while newcomer to the group, Paul Lewis, came second with 39 points.
On Friday, the seniors’ Winter League saw a few hardy souls brave the weather and seniors’ captain Mike Harrison took the event with 30 points on countback from Sam Wallace.
The Saturday Swindle was won by Martin Castle who beat new member Vitor Freitas to second on countback as both returned to the clubhouse with 39 points.
Countback also sorted out third place as Robert Hart had the better back nine to push Mark Westwood into fourth.
On Sunday, it was a three-man team competition where the best two scores counted.
You may also want to watch:
Darren Dawson, Darren Thompson and Paul Lewis carded a 10-under-par score of 82 points which was enough to take the win.
In second place was the team of Nigel Thomas, Gary Hammond and Jan Burke who were four points behind the winners.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
The traditional club match against Cambridge University ‘Stymies’ was also held on Sunday on the Heath and it resulted in an 11½ to 2½ victory for Royston.
Club captain Ray Sammons particularly singled out Royston junior Matt Bailey for his excellent attitude and for securing a hard-fought half in his afternoon singles match.