Harrison takes Royston Golf Club seniors’ Winter League event
- Credit: Archant
Royston Golf Club’s Thursday Roll-Up was won by Dave Millership with a total of 40 points while newcomer to the group, Paul Lewis, came second with 39 points.
On Friday, the seniors’ Winter League saw a few hardy souls brave the weather and seniors’ captain Mike Harrison took the event with 30 points on countback from Sam Wallace.
The Saturday Swindle was won by Martin Castle who beat new member Vitor Freitas to second on countback as both returned to the clubhouse with 39 points.
Countback also sorted out third place as Robert Hart had the better back nine to push Mark Westwood into fourth.
On Sunday, it was a three-man team competition where the best two scores counted.
Darren Dawson, Darren Thompson and Paul Lewis carded a 10-under-par score of 82 points which was enough to take the win.
In second place was the team of Nigel Thomas, Gary Hammond and Jan Burke who were four points behind the winners.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
The traditional club match against Cambridge University ‘Stymies’ was also held on Sunday on the Heath and it resulted in an 11½ to 2½ victory for Royston.
Club captain Ray Sammons particularly singled out Royston junior Matt Bailey for his excellent attitude and for securing a hard-fought half in his afternoon singles match.