Hares turn on the power

Hormead Hares U-14 4 Bedwell Rangers 0 HARES' last home game of the season produced one of their best performances, full of power, pace and great passing and finishing. Sam Benjamin got them off to a good start by scoring from an acute angle after 10 min

Hormead Hares U-14 4 Bedwell Rangers 0 HARES' last home game of the season produced one of their best performances, full of power, pace and great passing and finishing. Sam Benjamin got them off to a good start by scoring from an acute angle after 10 minutes. Following a good clearance from a Hares corner, Tommy-Lee Winkworth hit a stunning strike from 30 yards that gave the Bedwell keeper little chance. Wes Barwick in the middle of the park was in fine form after coming back from a three-week lay-off, and Ben Noonan and George Worby remained firm in the middle. The second half saw Hares create a number of other chances but failed to score. However, from an indirect free-kick following a back pass, Noonan rifled the ball home through a host of players. Hares kept up the pressure and following a DJ Winkworth chip into the box, Bedwell clearly handballed and it was Noonan who put away the penalty well. - As in the last few weeks the effort of both Hares under-nine teams has not been reflected in the scoreline. The A team lost 5-3 at Stevenage Blues with goals from Alex Underwood, Jonathan Lacey and Harrison Green. Underwood gained the man-of-the-match award for his performance. The B team lost 3-0 with joint man of the match awards going to James Scripps, David Re and Joe Woodcock for their great performances. Biggleswade Town A U-10 0 Melbourn Dynamos Panthers 8 PANTHERS powered their way to another emphatic victory. And they set another milestone when Jordan Hardwidge netted early in the second half, which means every member of the 10-man squad has scored this season. Melbourn started well and were two up inside the first five minutes thanks to a neat finish by Patrick Hopper and a penalty from Nathan Henry. A rare Biggleswade foray into the Melbourn half resulted in a goal-kick which keeper Craig Stalker fed through to Byron Lawrence. He turned and crossed to find the incoming Reece King, who slotted home for number three. Billy Halliwell, the rock of Dynamos' defence this season, was brilliantly holding off any attempts by the visitors to release the pressure, and he was instrumental with Melbourn's fourth when an exchange with King set up Lawrence in the area. Panthers had time to claim their fifth before half-time with Lawrence scoring his second. With a top of the table clash against Stevenage Town looming next week, Melbourn experimented a little in the second half although Hardwidge, King and Hopper all managed to score. The final piece of action saw a beleaguered Biggleswade gain a three-on-one advantage in the Melbourn box, only to find keeper Stalker equal to the task with an excellent block. Biggleswade Town B U-10 1 Melbourn Dynamos Tigers 2 A BITING wind froze Tigers into a poor performance on a threadbare pitch. Missing a couple of key players, Melbourn started well with Clyde Thompson smashing an effort against the bar and a post in the third minute. Biggleswade started to get into the game and were winning most of the midfield battles as Dynamos struggled to make an impression. So it came as no surprise when the home side took the lead after a goalmouth scramble. To their credit, Melbourn, led by the influential Alex Martin, tried to rally but found it difficult to get any rhythm to their game. Joe Carrington and Andrew Wilkins were working tirelessly to break up play. and Tigers benefited when Martin latched on to a loose ball and released a shot from the corner of the area, which the unfortunate Biggleswade keeper only managed to grab after it had crossed the line. The second half saw more of the same with stand-in Melbourn keeper George Birch having plenty of action. Tigers created a few chances but slow reactions and poor finishing made a draw look inevitable until Tom Lee collected a Jamie Fothergill pass. He beat a defender and committed the keeper before sliding the ball to an unmarked Brennan Friel, who stole the points for Melbourn with just seconds remaining. Manuden Juniors U-10 0 HC Cougars 1 ONE record was guaranteed to be broken when HC Cougars visited Manuden Ahead of the game, Cougars had a 100 per cent record, winning all of their previous 17 games, but Manuden were undefeated at home. Manuden were down to the bare bones with four absentees because of holidays. Despite being under-strength, Manuden started well and had the best of the first half with some quality passing football from Jack Fradd, Matt Carter and Lewis Pegrum. At half-time, with the score at 0-0, the game was in the balance, but after the break Cougars started to increase the pressure and Manuden's keeper Thomas Baiss pulled of a series of great saves. With no substitutes available for Manuden, injuries and fatigue started to take a toll as Cougars introduced three fresh subs. Nevertheless, Manuden's defence stood firm with season's best performances from Callum Taylor and Alex Bayley and a commanding game from a jet-lagged Chris Bond at centre-half. Just as it looked as though Cougars were about to lose their 100 per cent record, with one minute to go, a Cougars player tried to lob Tommy Baiss. He made a great save but the rebound fell to another Cougars player, who bundled the ball in Manuden Juniors U-13 4 Potton Colts 3 NEW signing Kenichi Odrich-Mikami hit a hat-trick as Manuden won this seven-goal thriller. Odrich-Mikami opened the scoring after 10 minutes but Potton Colts hit back with an equaliser five minutes later. Potton then pulled ahead, scoring again after 22 minutes. At half-time, Manuden realised that they needed to step up their game. A great goal from Jackson Griffith pulled the score back to 2-2, only to see Potton regain the lead. All was not lost for Manuden as the industrious Kenichi equalised again five minutes later, and he completed his hat-trick with a well-taken goal to give the home side the points. Hatfield Youth U-12 0 Baldock Lancers 3 LANCERS travelled down the A1 to Hatfield for a game both teams desperately needed to win. The cold conditions affected both teams but the Lancers started more positively, playing some good attacking football. Both Lee Rogers and Richard Bailey worked hard to break down a strong Hatfield defence. The visitors took the lead after a patient build-up of pressure culminating in a superb Steve Scarlino through ball. It found Richard Bailey, who calmly placed a shot into the bottom right-hand side of the net. Baldock continued their high tempo play and soon doubled their lead with a well-struck shot from Scarlino. Hatfield started to respond with some good attacking play and placed the Lancers defence under considerable pressure. However, the strong presence of both of Ben Cartwright and Neil Pitblado kept Hatfield from pulling one back. This was not without some nervous moments, as Hatfield came very close near half-time and would have scored, were it not for a excellent reaction save from George Murray. The second half started with a more determined Hatfield side and although dominating the possession they rarely troubled the Lancers. Baldock countered with Matt Beesly and Richard Bailey both coming close in extending the visitors' lead. Lancers finally found a third after some sublime skills from Scarlino, who drilled home a blistering shot after a magnificent run, to guarantee Baldock all three points. Arlesey U-15 2 Royston Town Colts 0 THE young Crows never recovered after conceding a third-minute goal, on Sunday. A well-struck ball found the Arlesey striker, who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home into an empty net. Colts had their chances but could not convert them into goals. The visitors' last chance came when Luke McCarthy beat off several challenges to feed Karl Smith, who netted, only to see his effort disallowed. The second half mirrored the first with the home side doubling their tally, and Colts having another effort ruled offside. Herts Rangers Blues U-10 0 Baldock Town Youth Crusaders 5 CRUSADERS continued their climb up Division B with another deserved victory. Matthew Judges played a good ball through for top scorer Jordan Massey to open the scoring for Baldock after three minutes. Player-of-the-match Elena Pisapia was dominating the midfield and had two good shots, one just over the crossbar and another against a post, as Baldock made full use of the downhill slope and wind to pile on the pressure. A lay-off from Massey to Daniel Nicholson, whose cross was met by George Higginson, brought a fine save from the Rangers keeper, but Ryan Savage was following in to make it 2-0. Pisapia finally got the goal she deserved, a thundering shot making it 3-0 for Baldock a few minutes before half-time. In the first minute of the second half, Savage played a great ball through for Massey to score his second and Baldock's fourth. Baldock were now confident and playing attractive passing football. A cross from Higginson was well met by Massey but his shot was just over the crossbar. Massey then turned provider with a cross that was wonderfully met on the volley by Nicholson to score Baldock's fifth goal.