Hares' inventiveness not enough to beat the Comets
FC Comets 5 Hormead Hares 1 Under-11s Division Two HORMEAD Hares Under-11s suffered a third defeat of the season at the hands of a well drilled FC Comet side at the weekend. The 5-1 defeat belies a spirited performance from the Hares who, despite concedin
FC Comets 5 Hormead Hares 1
Under-11s Division Two
HORMEAD Hares Under-11s suffered a third defeat of the season at the hands of a well drilled FC Comet side at the weekend.
The 5-1 defeat belies a spirited performance from the Hares who, despite conceding two goals in the first 14 minutes, carried on battling right up to the very end.
Man-of-the-match Harry Jarman put in a commanding performance in goal as a second half replacement which was not bad for a player who is noted for his goal scoring prowess rather than his goal saving expertise.
He also set up his side's only goal with a quick, well struck goal kick towards Joseph de Souza who collected the ball on the half way line, advanced on goal and beat the advancing 'keeper with a skilled lob.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
Despite what was starting to look like one way traffic, the Comets were pinned in their own half for long periods and the Hares' inventiveness never ceased.
After conceding a third, for example, the crowd were flummoxed by Owen Hughes' delicate chip up to restart the game only to gasp in awe as an audacious de Souza tried to beat the goalkeeper from the halfway line.
The good humoured game was enjoyed by all.