Hampden Bowl joy for Smith
MARK Smith secured his biggest win to date – fending off a large field to claim the Viscount Hampden Bowl at Royston Golf Club on Sunday. The 10-handicapper played some steady golf and finished with a nett 66 to win by a single shot. Robert Clark was sec
MARK Smith secured his biggest win to date - fending off a large field to claim the Viscount Hampden Bowl at Royston Golf Club on Sunday.
The 10-handicapper played some steady golf and finished with a nett 66 to win by a single shot.
Robert Clark was second (69-2=67) on countback ahead of Alistair Horwood (81-14=67).
Trevor Sweeting won the Battle of Britain Charity Stableford on Saturday with 41 points.
His back nine of level par was the key to his success, and as a result has seen his handicap tumble into single figures.
Stuart Phillips was runner-up with 40 points, the county player shooting a gross 65.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 5 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 6 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 7 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 10 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
Mick Rowland and Steve De Fraine tied third with 38 points, with Sally Woodhead winning the ladies' prize ahead of Alice Lewis.
Joan Buckerfield held her Lady Captain's Day with more than 40 participants.
Ladies Club Champion Jenny Jarvis took the top prize.