Hammond injury blow as Crows gain revenge
Stony Stratford 1 Royston Town 4 TWO goals from Luke Robins helped The Crows get revenge on a Stony Stratford side which had beaten them 3-1 at Garden Walk earlier in the season. Royston began with great urgency and almost went ahead within the first minu
Stony Stratford 1 Royston Town 4
TWO goals from Luke Robins helped The Crows get revenge on a Stony Stratford side which had beaten them 3-1 at Garden Walk earlier in the season.
Royston began with great urgency and almost went ahead within the first minute but in-form striker Craig Hammond put his effort just over the bar.
In the opening exchanges Royston used winger Luke Robins to good effect and it was no surprise when the young flyer put his team ahead after 16 minutes.
Not to be outdone by the rampaging Robins on the left, right winger Tom Malins put his name on the scoresheet five minutes later when he successfully controlled a cross-field pass, cut inside the defence, and powered the ball into the back of the net.
Hammond was taken off at the half-hour mark with concussion after being elbowed in the face, but Royston were soon three goals ahead.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 3 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 4 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 5 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
Ross Collins cut inside from the left, and his cross skipped past the Stony defence and took a bounce in front of the keeper, who was unable to keep it out.
The second half began just like the first with Royston putting pressure on the Stratford defence.
The Crows' attacking play paid off when Robins burst into the penalty area and was brought down, earning his side a penalty.
Robins picked himself up and slotted the ball home in the bottom corner.
Royston defender David Cain gave away a penalty in the 67th minute which the home team put away, but it was too little, too late.
Royston Town: Williamson, Endacott, Collins, Babbage, Cain, De Lacy, Edwards, Malins, Hammond, Welch, Robins. Subs: Young, Apostolos, Stephens.