Griffin's battle seals the Hastings Cup
JOHN Griffin won the first major cup competition at Royston Golf Club on Sunday when he triumphed in the Hastings Cup, an 18 hole handicap competition. Griffin pipped a trio of players with a nett 65 and played some steady golf on the fron nine to turn th
JOHN Griffin won the first major cup competition at Royston Golf Club on Sunday when he triumphed in the Hastings Cup, an 18 hole handicap competition.
Griffin pipped a trio of players with a nett 65 and played some steady golf on the fron nine to turn three under par but endured just a single bogey on the 11th and eight pars on the back nine to take all the spoils.
Keith Pitts took second spot on countback from Bert Burns and Paul Reid.
Terry Bridgeman continued his quest to reach his season target of reducing his handicap by eight shots by amassing an amazing 46 points in the Saturday Stableford.
As a result, his handicap was reduced by three to 21, a reduction of seven in the last month.
Six handicapper Paul Thomson finished runner-up with 41 points, with Chris Taylor continuing his fine form with 39 points.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 6 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 7 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Stewart Hart also finished with a good 39.
Denise Moody won the Ladies Stableford edging out Karen Pearson on countback with both players scoring 35 points.
Judith Osler and Lynn Barker tied for third with 32.
Thursday saw the annual St George's Day match where the gentlemen of Royston Golf Club play a match against the seniors.
The 24 players a side match was won by the Gentlemen yb six games to four with two halved.
Keith Wood lead the charge for the seniors with Jim Hopkins, beating vice captain Sid Seward and past captain Micky Hall 5&4, although unfortunately his fellow team members could not close out the last match for a half.