Greneway six make the grade
Pupils to represent North Herts Schools representative XI
SIX promising young footballers from Greneway’s successful Year 8 football team have been selected to play for North Herts Schools’ Representative XI squad.
Justin Leavers, Matt Moore, Ben Watson, Jack Mills and Richard Jonas all impressed selectors during the recent trials which was held at Barnwell School as did Callum Pinner who was selected on standby.
It is the largest number of players Greneway has ever had in one district football team at this level and their inclusion marks a fantastic achievement for the players, school and Royston.
The boys will hope to play a critical role in the first match against Watford Schools in their first Inter-District League match next Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Headteacher, Terry Graves, who took the boys to the trial, added: “This is a great opportunity for these young players to step up to the next level and I feel sure that the Inter-District competitions will really move their learning as elite players.”
Ex-North Herts Schools’ U13 players include Arsenal and England’s Jack Wilshere, former Southampton midfielder Matt Oakley and former England and current Birmingham City striker Kevin Phillips.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?