Greneway six make the grade
Pupils to represent North Herts Schools representative XI
SIX promising young footballers from Greneway’s successful Year 8 football team have been selected to play for North Herts Schools’ Representative XI squad.
Justin Leavers, Matt Moore, Ben Watson, Jack Mills and Richard Jonas all impressed selectors during the recent trials which was held at Barnwell School as did Callum Pinner who was selected on standby.
It is the largest number of players Greneway has ever had in one district football team at this level and their inclusion marks a fantastic achievement for the players, school and Royston.
The boys will hope to play a critical role in the first match against Watford Schools in their first Inter-District League match next Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Headteacher, Terry Graves, who took the boys to the trial, added: “This is a great opportunity for these young players to step up to the next level and I feel sure that the Inter-District competitions will really move their learning as elite players.”
Ex-North Herts Schools’ U13 players include Arsenal and England’s Jack Wilshere, former Southampton midfielder Matt Oakley and former England and current Birmingham City striker Kevin Phillips.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside