Greneway six make the grade
Pupils to represent North Herts Schools representative XI
SIX promising young footballers from Greneway’s successful Year 8 football team have been selected to play for North Herts Schools’ Representative XI squad.
Justin Leavers, Matt Moore, Ben Watson, Jack Mills and Richard Jonas all impressed selectors during the recent trials which was held at Barnwell School as did Callum Pinner who was selected on standby.
It is the largest number of players Greneway has ever had in one district football team at this level and their inclusion marks a fantastic achievement for the players, school and Royston.
The boys will hope to play a critical role in the first match against Watford Schools in their first Inter-District League match next Thursday.
Assistant Headteacher, Terry Graves, who took the boys to the trial, added: “This is a great opportunity for these young players to step up to the next level and I feel sure that the Inter-District competitions will really move their learning as elite players.”
Ex-North Herts Schools’ U13 players include Arsenal and England’s Jack Wilshere, former Southampton midfielder Matt Oakley and former England and current Birmingham City striker Kevin Phillips.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge