Greneway’s Year 7 boys progress in National U12 Cup
Greneway Middle School’s Year 7 boys kept up their unbeaten start to the season as they defeated Robert Bloomfield School 2-1 to advance to the National U12 Cup third round.
Bloomfield started the game well and struck first.
Their forward managed to turn quickly in the box and shoot past an unsighted keeper to find the back of the net.
Greneway responded well with captain Tom Finch starting to dictate the pace of the game with a number of long passes spreading the ball wide to Will Blair on the left and Sam Lynn on the right.
This eventually resulted in Finch finding himself in space 25 yards out where he had time to get his head up and send a dipping shot over the keeper into the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
Soon after, Adam McCormack got his reward for hard work after he beat the centre-back to the ball in the box only to be tripped with a penalty awarded.
The striker had the courage to pick himself up and slot the penalty home.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Despite some late pressure and a number of shots from distance for the home side they became frustrated as Greneway keeper Ross Gardner seemed to deal with everything with ease and the visitors saw out the win.