Greneway retain tag-rugby title
Michael Baulk scores sudden-death try to win North East Herts tournament
PUPILS from Greneway School retained their North East Herts Schools’ U11 Tag Rugby Tournament title on Thursday.
The team consisted of a mixture of Year 5 and Year 6 pupils competing against others from Roysia, Edwinstree, St Thomas of Canterbury and Ralph Sadlier on an exciting afternoon of tag rugby on the Heath.
Greneway’s first match was played against St Mary’s and it proved to be a nervy affair, but great defensive work from Nathan Harness, Lucy Huttlestone and Andrew Shannon prevented St Mary’s from scoring any tries and the game finished 8-0 to Greneway.
St Thomas were next up in game two and this time flare on the attack was noticeable from Ewan Rees, Callum Toovey and Pippa Wisdom as Greneway managed score seven tries with only two in reply. Jack Hallewell showed his potential with a brilliant hat-trick.
Game three was always going to be a tricky encounter and it was Edwinstree who created the early chances but, again, great defending from the Michael Baulk and Daniel Baulk provided the foundations for the attacking players to flourish. The game exchanged tries 4 times until Greneway had a late surge with great play from Nathan Harness, Hallewell and George Adam putting Greneway into a commanding 7-4 lead which was how it stayed.
Looking to retain their title - The final was against Edwintree ‘A’ in a game which proved to be an exciting contest. It was end to end and tries were exchanged in a match of free-flowing rugby. Baulk, Harnes and Hallewell showed some inspirational form to push Edwinstree all the way to a sudden-death playoff. Great passing down the left flank proved decisive and Michael Baulk went over in the corner for extra-time golden try.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 3 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 4 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 5 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
The victory means they will represent North East Herts in the County Finals
Special thanks to Royston Heath, Royston Rugby club, and the NEH School Sports Partnership.
Greneway team: Michael Baulk, Nathan Harnes , Jack Hallewell, Ewan Rees, Callum Toovey, Pippa Wisdom, Lucy Huttlestone, Andrew Shannon, Daniel Bulk, George Adam.