Greneway reign supreme at county finals
GRENEWAY’S U11 basketball team reigned supreme at the inaugural Hertfordshire Schools’ Basketball Finals recently.
As North East Herts Schools Sports Partnership champions, Greneway’s Year 6 mixed basketball team travelled to St Albans looking to win the County U11 title but standing in their way were nine other School Sports Partnership champions.
Their first opponents were from the A10 Partnership and Greneway were quickly into their stride as they dominated all phases to win 12-2.
Game two saw them pitted against the strong Whitefields School (Harpenden) and in a tight match Greneway’s superior offensive skills, namely the lay-up, proved the difference as they won 8-4. The last group match was against the also unbeaten, Woodside School (Hertford & Ware). In an impressive team performance Greneway cruised into the semi-finals with an emphatic 15-4 win.
The ‘Final Fours’ set up Greneway against the runner-up of Pool 2 – Northaw school (Watford & Hertsmere). Against a physically bigger team Greneway had to play to their strengths even more. In a tight first half, Greneway edged it 4-2 and in the second period they raced to an 8-2 lead and were in complete control to win through to the final 8-4.
You may also want to watch:
To emphasise the quality of Pool 1, Greneway once again played Woodside School in the final.
Both teams created chances but Greneway’s pressure on every shot meant that Woodside struggled to score. At the other end Greneway were more successful to lead 7-2 at the interval. The second period followed the same pattern as Greneway were able to control the tempo of the game to meet the final buzzer 12-5 as victors.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Assistant head teacher Terry Graves was delighted to win the title and said:
“All of these players have been a part of history today as part of a Greneway team who have won the first ever County U11 title – a fantastic team achievement. Every player made a vital contribution during the tournament and emphasised the importance of skill, fitness, team spirit, practice and the lay-up.”
Greneway: Toovey (c), Moore, Brewster, Newsome, Hallewell, Bishop, Baulk, Huttlestone.