Greneway pupils take part in county table tennis finals
- Credit: Archant
Following on from the District Championships, Greneway School pupils went bat-to-bat in a recent table tennis finals tournament at Queens School, Watford.
The U13 girls were to be Greneway’s most successful team this time around, finishing a close runner-up against Rickmansworth.
The boys’ U11 team got the competition underway and despite a number of strong performances, Greneway finished just short of qualifying for the top four in Herts.
Next up was the U13 category, with Greneway represented in both the boys’ and girls’ competitions.
The girls got off to a flying start with an amazing clean sweep of 24 wins from 24 games in their group to take top spot and book their place in the semi-finals.
You may also want to watch:
The boys’ competition was a slightly different story, as they bowed out in the first round. Nevertheless, they did manage to finish on a high, with six wins from their last eight matches.
It was now down to the girls to fly the flag for Greneway and North East Herts.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
They did that in style in the semi-finals as they beat Presdales 8-0.
This booked their place in the county final against Rickmansworth who had maintained a similar record on their road to the final.
The final was close throughout, with it tied at 2-2 after the first round of matches.
After a topsy-turvy battle, the match came down to the final game but Greneway didn’t get the little bit of luck required, as they fell 12-10.
Despite this, the team were pleased to be awarded with their silver medals and to be given the mantle of the second best team in Hertfordshire.
Greneway squad: J. Smith, O. Cordingley, J. Bearpark, R. Allen, W. Hamblin, L. Crosby, L. Downie, K. Harness, C. Mills, D. Needham, M. Hadley-Charter, M. Warburton.