Greneway Middle School serve up hat-trick of table tennis trophy honours
- Credit: Archant
Greneway School took another clean sweep of sporting honours, this time at the North East Herts Schools’ U11 Table Tennis Team Championships at Edwinstree School, Buntingford.
Each school arrived with their top four girls and boys from a combination of years 5 and 6 and after some hard-fought competition, the boys, girls and a combined effort took all three titles.
The boys’ competition was closely contested by all schools involved with Ralph Sadleir (Puckeridge) taking an early lead, but the number one seed from Edwinstree was also showing some real quality.
Roysia and Greneway responded well by adding a number of convincing wins of their own to the scoreboard and it was Greneway who managed to keep their rhythm with all four of their players picking up a number of important wins in some very closely contested matches to claim the boys’ title for the fourth consecutive year.
The girls’ competition took a similar pattern, but this time it was Greneway setting the early pace with the Greneway number one seed that came out on top.
You may also want to watch:
Ralph Sadleir showed good strength in depth with their four girls coming out as the deserved winners for the first time with Greneway just missing out on a team double.
All pupils involved played under the supervision of Meridian School Sports Leaders who had taken on the roles of officiating. The competition was played in a great spirit with 40 pupils involved from five different schools.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
As the final few serves were delivered and the rallies came to an end, all pupils and adults involved were able to gather together to celebrate what had been a successful evening. All pupils who had taken this opportunity to represent their school were pleased to collect their certificates of participation in recognition of their efforts.
As the scores were collated it was Greneway who were able to celebrate a Treble victory in the Boys, Girls and Combined competitions and both teams looking forward to the challenge of the county finals.